24 - B R O K E N P R O M I S E S

Evangeline Carter

I left the room and began marching trying to find Draco. I ignored my mother as she yelled to get me to come back.

I didn't know what to believe. I've always believed my father committed suicide and I'd constantly blame myself, making myself feel responsible. Perhaps he was disappointed in me, for not being the perfect daughter he'd always wanted. I used to believe he was never happy with his life.

Knowing now that's not what happened completely changes everything. He died trying to save people, of course he did. That's the kind of person he was. And the person I'm in love with is responsible for his death.

Was my mother lying? Why is she now telling me this? Did she make up this story to keep me away from Draco? I needed to find out the real truth.

I walked into the Great Hall and immediately spotted him sitting next to Blaise, Tracey, and Pansy. As I walked closer he noticed something was wrong with my facial expressions, he immediately turned red and looked extremely nervous.

"Eva?" He asked with a concerned look on his face.

"How did my father die?" I asked Draco, keeping an intense stare.

"Hey Eva, you alright?" Blaise asked with a concerned look on his face.

I smacked my hand on the table out of anger and impatience as Draco remained quiet, Pansy and Tracey both flinched sitting in their seats. This caused the whole room to go silent and the attention was on us now.

"Answer the bloody question Draco," I repeated, this time with more passion in my voice.

He hesitated but then spoke up. "I think you know the answer to that already."

Seeing Draco look at me with pitiful eyes made my heart melt. I wanted more than anything to make excuses for him, forgive and forget. But that was impossible. He took away my only happiness in this world, that's simply unforgivable.

"Tell me it's not true," I said while backing away. "Tell me, that you saved my father that night." My voice began trembling.

I know it sounds terrible, but part of me hoped Draco would lie. Part of me hoped he would say he did indeed save my father that night for us to move past this. I didn't want to lose him, but how will I ever move past this?

I heard a giggle slip out of someone's mouth. "Go ahead tell her Draco," Pansy said while twisting a strand of hair with her finger.

"Pansy, do you ever shut up?" Draco said furiously.

I stared at Draco with curiosity, I wanted to hear it from him. That's all I needed, confirmation from him, and him only. I didn't care what other people were saying, even if it included my mother. As stupid as it sounds, that's how much power he held over me.

I've never seen him so speechless before. He always looked so confident, cocky, and arrogant. Instead, he looked guilty. It took a couple of moments for his eyes to finally meet mine, and when they finally did, he spoke up.

"I'm sorry."

I felt my body begin trembling, and tears were beginning to fall out of my eyes. I had this horrible feeling inside my gut and I physically felt my heart aching.