7. The spreading of the runes

Two days later, the main topic of conversation at school was the strange runes that covered the walls.

There were various theories circulating to explain their appearance. Some said it was a side effect of the attack by Dumbledore's Army. Others said it could be a curse created by the death eaters or the Lady. There were those who thought it was a protective shield. But the professors had not given any explanations yet.

And the main reason they hadn't said anything was because they themselves didn't know what was going on. They speculated and argued but came to no conclusion.

Dumbledore had tried to cast a spell on the runes to study them, but nothing he did had any effect. The headmaster decided that the best option was to clear up his doubts and interrogate his main suspect.

***

The Lady was alone in the infirmary, for the first time in many days. She had gotten Narcissa to give her a few minutes of privacy, although she was convinced that the distrustful witch was still standing guard in front of the infirmary door. But there was something she wanted to check, and she preferred to do it alone.

The Lady sat with her back against the headboard of the bed, and closed her eyes, while extending a hand.

She concentrated with all her might and after several seconds, a small blue flame, weak and trembling, appeared in the palm of her hand.

She sighed frustratedly, and tried to calm herself, taking a deep breath. The attack of the firecrackers had not been strong enough to leave her without magic, but that had not been what had hurt her. No, the problem had been her own stupidity.

She remembered the last moments before the accident. All her attention and energy had been focused on immobilizing Dumbledore and the other professors, and suddenly, that bond had been abruptly severed. Her magic had been shaken violently, like the string of a whip, hurting her insides and rendering her unconscious.

That wouldn't have happened if she had had time to undo the spell slowly and in a controlled manner, but she wasn't able to do so. And now, she had to deal with the consequences.

Her magic was intact, but her bond with it was damaged, and she had to restore it, so she closed her eyes and little by little, breathing slowly, she went deeper into herself, as if she were meditating.

In her mind, the soft sounds of the waves accompanied her, singing in a hypnotic and relaxing way.

The small flame in her hand moved, following the rhythm of the waves, and after several breaths, it revitalized itself, increasing it's light and strength, turning from blue to green, before becoming yellow, and finally white.

The Lady opened her eyes, looked intently at the fire, and it changed, transforming into a little bird, which began to flutter around her, singing.

She smiled and shook her fingers, calling to the little bird. It landed on her hand, melted, and the small bubble of water spun around her hand at great speed.

And finally, she closed her hand, making the water disappear, and the Lady smiled, satisfied, and relieved. She would have to tread carefully over the next few days, but she would be able to regain her magic without any problems.

"Congratulations. I'm glad to see you're recovering," she jumped and looked startled toward the opening of the screens, from where Dumbledore was watching her.

How long had he been there? And why hadn't she heard him arrive?

"Sorry for my unexpected visit, I wanted to inquire about your health. I have been warned that you have woken up."