5. Vaitiare

Narcissa sat next to the Lady, assessing the situation.

All her wounds had been healed, except for the scar that ran across her face, but the witch showed no signs of waking up.

Narcissa rubbed her hands, nervous. What would become of her? And Draco? And Lucius? How would they be punished for this? She felt desperate, and she wished none of that was happening.

She thought about Lucius, locked up in Azkaban, and how easy it would be for the Dark Lord to have a dementor rip out his soul. And Draco... he could order him to be on the front line of battle, alongside Greyback...

Why had she been so stupid? She should have entered the room first. What was she going to do now? Completely desperate, Narcissa burst into tears.

***

"It was the fault of the protective spells she put on the walls," professor Flitwick explained, after examining the Lady's office. "They were designed to isolate the room from outside spells and curses, but also prevented them from leaving. The protective bell bounced off the firecrackers' magic, amplifying their power."

"You're trying to excuse those brats!" Alecto shouted. "My brother–"

"The Lady can decide what to do with them when she wakes up," Dumbledore interrupted. "I don't think she'll like that you've made decisions on your own behind her back, just like your brother did."

"I would be avenging her."

"And therefore, she must be the one to decide what she wants to do."

The death eater was going to reply, but janitor Filch peeked through the door, looking for Dumbledore.

"Headmaster, a veela has just entered Hogwarts. She says she comes from the Ministry."

***

The veela shone in the Hall like a star in the middle of the night. Her flowing white clothes fluttered as if swayed by a gentle breeze, as did her silver hair.

The boys looked at her enthralled, while the girls glared at her. She said her name was Vaitiare, and greeted Dumbledore with a bow.

"What do you want?" asked the headmaster, cautiously.

"I have been sent by the Ministry. They have informed me that you are having problems controlling your new supervisor," her voice was sweet, and her smile bright.

"Does Voldemort send you?"

"I didn't say that," she took a couple of steps closer and spoke with a confidential air. "You know? Not all Ministry workers have been subjected. There are other forces fighting to gain control."

Dumbledore stared at her, evaluating her response. Veelas were powerful and dangerous creatures.

"How did you know about the problems?"

"For the owls that the students send to their parents," she smiled. "They say quite worrying things. We believe it is our duty to help."

"Are they sending a veela to fight the Lady?"

"It won't be a normal fight," she continued smiling serenely, shaking her long hair over her shoulder. "Those of my species have unusual powers."

"I have no doubt," Dumbledore was still evaluating her carefully. Could he trust her?. "Any help will be welcome," he finally said, and her smile widened.

***

Narcissa heard hurried footsteps and raised her head. In front of her, Snape roughly pushed aside the curtains, letting in a house-elf.