Chapter 12

''Fallen tears,

Outnumbered fears,

I sit and wonder,

What lies yonder,

Beyond my home and

From my own land?

For someday I'll

Walk that long mile!

Sweeping winds, please, come and take me.

Flowing rivers, let my quest be,

For one day I want to be free

Endless miles

Of sand in piles,

Above that Path, I

Wish I could fly,

And safely arrive,

Glowing with life

To that far place

Of golden grace'

Adiss sang this tune as he played his silver guitar while sitting on his messy bed. This was a rare sight, however, as he had to count on being completely in the dormitory in order to play his guitar. On this Sunday, at this time, he was quite alone.

Despite his beautiful poetry, no matter how hard Adiss tried to write a warm, happy tune, all that came to his mind was gloom. During his walk back to the school, he had dreaded the fact that Blue had not been alone in their encounter. But now, Adiss was regretting that he did not ask Blue to be his date for the Midnight Ball. I will never get the chance to talk to her alone again!

When neither stars nor angels appeased his frustration, Adiss put down his guitar, stood from his bed and walked up to one of the windows. Looking outside, he could see nothing but an ocean of mist, with the occasional branch of a tall tree penetrating through. But whatever metaphor for hope this might have suggested, Adiss only focused on the mist that lingered on the ground. The fog was a ghost, and it could take whatever form his mind most wanted to see. So, without thinking hard, he saw Blue out there, standing on the outer side of the fence, looking up at him with a smile on her face. Adiss waved at her, but as soon as he did, the ghost he almost believed was real, disappeared.

And almost as soon as it did, a boy arrived to abruptly disturb his peace— "Hey, the Principal needs you!"

Adiss looked behind him and saw Jake, standing by the door with a glare that could kill a rose.

"Get your ass to the third floor, now!"

Adiss looked confused.

"What's the matter? Did I scare you, freak?" Jake hissed.

Adiss scoffed and quickly marched toward the door. He avoided Jake's eyes until he was inevitably face to face with him. At that moment, he said to him, "Get out of my way." And with that, he pushed him aside and walked out.

Jake remained static, and though he had the temptation to grab Adiss by his hair and slam his face against a wall, he resisted the urge, and shot a threat, "You're in a load of trouble for sneaking out last night; that's why Royce is calling you to his office! Ha!"

Adiss immediately shivered. Did Principal Royce really find out that he had snuck out the night before? Did Jake tell on him? Adiss pushed Jake aside and sped along the hallway. He reached the stairs and began to climb. His heartbeat accelerated. Then he reached the third floor and walked toward the Principal's office. Right at the door, Adiss succumbed to fear. He dared not open the door.