1 Prologue

From Dave's letter to Tom

Sandhurst, Sep 12, 1970

Dear Tom, it's a strange feeling to be back in England. I guess you know that. I've gotten used to discussing everything with you and the others, and now there's something I really need to discuss with you. I met someone on the plane and ever since then I've had a problem, a real problem. I can't write anything about it, nor can I make a phone call. I wish you were here ...

From Martin's letter to Tom

Nuremberg, September 22, 1970

Dear Tom!

If Dave says that we need to meet, we'll have to do it ... I'll suddenly get sick on October 16th and won't get well again until the 21st (mother will write an apology for my teacher, father won't sneak on me). I'll arrive at Heathrow an hour before you. I'll be waiting in the arrivals hall ...

From Gerda's letter to Tom

London, September 24, 1970

Dear Tom! I am happy that you are coming to visit me. It's always nice to have guests from Hohenberg. Please go to my parents' house, they'll give you a few little things to bring here with you. I'll be at a wedding in Cornwall from Friday to Monday. When you get here, ring Hans Becker's bell, he's a camera assistant and lives in the flat right below mine. He'll have my key. He asked me to tell you to buy as much whisky and Martinis as you're allowed on the plane ...

From Dave's letter to Tom

Sandhurst, Sep 28, 1970

Dear Tom, you can't imagine how glad I am that you're coming to London. I found Hammer Hill on the map - it's close to the Belsize Park tube station on the Northern Line. I'll be there around 8 p.m. on Friday ...

The Most Beautiful Place On God's Earthजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें