2: New Girl Needs to Calm Down

"That new girl!" He ran his hand through his hair for—probably—the hundredth time since they'd left the school

"It's been months since she moved, you know?" Jaemin points it out.

They were seated outside Renjun's house on a small platform beneath a tree. The sun was about to set, but they were still busy either on their phones or talking to each other. The wind around them was enough to keep them cool, but Jeno, Haechan, and Jaemin have already taken off their school polos and was left with the thin layer of their white undershits, an obvious violation of school uniform rules.

"The last new student before she came along was Yangyang, and that was years ago!" Haechan points out.

"That was my nickname until Eunji came along." Yangyang pretends to reminisce as he leans his head on Jaemin's lap and lies down beneath the sky.

"Well, I think we're all missing the point," Renjun points out. "Don't worry, I can tell you're upset." Yet sarcasm was so clear in his voice as he patted Jeno's shoulder.

All heads turn towards Jeno, who was not as talkative or as touchy as he usually was. If it were him, typically, he would be hugging someone or lying down on their lap. Instead, he was sitting upwards and had his back straight as he glared at the open fields near Renjun's house. Jeno glares--he does that a lot in class--but one where no one felt comfortable with his expression and all their concern was towards him, it was rare for his frustrations to turn into anger.

"Jens," Haechan sighs, moving closer to him by dragging his butt, "it's just the mid-term rankings."

"It's the mid-term rankings now, then the final rankings, then the school year rankings, and before I know it, my valedictorian spot is taken by some transfer student." Jeno throws his hand in the air as he can't seem to express his frustration while being seated with all his friends sharing the small wooden space.

Renjun and Jaemin looked at each other before Jaemin slowly turned towards Jeno. "You do realize that Eunji isn't just some transfer student?"

Jeno's eyebrows knit together. "What?"

"Do you really not know?" Renjun asked.

"About Cho? Does it look like I know?"

"She has a name—" Yangyang tries to correct Jeno.

"Rumors were going around about how she came from that elite high school in Seoul." Renjun intrigues Jeno. "What was it called? Greenwood? Greenlight? It was Green-something."

Jeno's head echos a single and annoyingly high pitch, as if all he hears is the sound of a heart monitor falling flat. His mind goes numb and dumb. It was as if it all suddenly made sense in his head, but at the same time, it didn't. 

Greenmeadow High School was an international school that got a lot of its international students into SKY (Seoul University, Korea University, and Yonsei University), Ivy League schools, and other prestigious universities. state-of-the-art facilities and the best educators in the country. Not only was that international school popular for its facilities, alumni, and education, it was notorious for being a very expensive school. That price, however, had its benefits.