Chapter 29

S6 EP21

Sitting on one of the lab tables, Eleanora stood with her chin resting on her hand as she and all the other residents listened to Dr. Bailey talk about patient care and sensitivity.

"Uh, reaction, observation, communication. Any questions so far?"

Almost everyone raises their hand, Dr. Bailey snorts and gives the group a look. "We're doing this because Chief Shepherd suggests we brush up on our patient sensitivity skills. That's why. And it just so happens that this morning was a good time. Plus, half of you were raised by wolves."

Eleanora laughed, turning her head to look at Jackson. "She means you." She scoffed at him; Jackson gave her a look.

"Really? I didn't realize."

"Reaction." Bailey says as she writes the word on the board. She looks at the paper in her hand, facing them as she reads it. "Keep your face impassive. Whether it's a patient's appearance or lab results, facial expressions of surprise, concern, disgust, etc., can be counterproductive."

"Uh, jokes. Don't make jokes about patients. Not in front of them, not even in private."

Cristina, who was sitting next to Eleanora, raised her hand quickly. Eleanora jumped at the sudden movement, removing her chin from her hand to look at her friend with an offended look.

"Yang?" Bailey asked. Cristina lowered her hand and leaned forward, her voice and face completely serious.

"What if the joke is really funny?" Some laughter escapes from some of the residents, Eleanora lightly punches Cristina's arm. Cristina rubs her arm and then moves Eleanora back, a gasp leaving the smaller girl's mouth.

"It's not. And it wasn't either." Bailey responded before pointing between the two friends. "You two, stop hitting each other or I'll have to separate you."

"Observation." Bailey's pager goes off as she turns to them from the whiteboard again, she quickly scans it before refocusing on her speech. "Okay, use reflective listening. Repeat to the patient's feelings. Um, 'I heard he's worried about the surgery, let me explain the risks.'"

Alex leans to the side to talk to his friends, Eleanora looking at him as he speaks with an amused voice. "I can see that you like vegetables, after surgery you could become one."

Cristina bursts out laughing, Meredith giggling high-pitched. Eleanora shoots her a look but she can't help the smile that creeps across her face at the joke, focusing forward again. Bailey gives the four of them a look, like an upset mother, as she continues.

"Communication. Don't use jargon, use language that the patient can understand. Be creative when using metaphors."

"Ugh, I'm terrible with metaphors. They never occur to me." Charles complains, Cristina talks to him over her shoulder.

"Why? Because you're dumb, like a box of hammers?"

"You see, that's a good one. You're mean, but that was a good one." Charles responds, Cristina giving a proud look as she crosses her arms.

"Be clear and complete, explaining all risks and all likely outcomes, leaving nothing out." Bailey stammers. Eleanora blinks and frowns at the rapid speed, leaning back in her chair. "Questions...Adamson?"

"Why are you going so fast?" Reed asked the attending; Eleanora nodded her head.

"That was like Sonic, Bailey." Eleanora added, Meredith snorting at the comparison.

"It just so happens that an emergent patient is coming in who will need a little extra sensitivity. So, remember to employ your... ROC, and... you'll be the best."