1. Home sweet home

📍Montego bay
Jamaica

Hayami's POV

"I'm so happy to be back in Jamaica" I say as as we make our way to the car arm in arm.

I haven't been to Jamaica in four years.
I moved to Colombia with one of my aunts when I was 16 years old and I haven't looked back since. Jamaica holds... memories that I'd rather forget about.

I have missed my mom's side of the family though especially Lia. She has always been there from me, on the clear blue sunny days and on the gray dark scary nights. She's my rock.

"You have no idea how excited I am that you're here!" Lia says helping me get my suitcases into the truck of her car.

>>>

Mek me tell unnuh a likkle story
Me have a man weh have a woman
Weh nuh know 'bout me, woii
Me know she but she nuh know me
Di body mek me happy though me nuh own it

This ah di original sidechick song
Me up inna my feelings fi a next gyal man

We sing and laugh together as Memi drives down the highway. Hearing my phone ping I turn the music down and check it.

I scoff looking at the message that my mom sent me.

MOM

▪︎Have you landed yet
I turned my phone in the direction of Lia

Have you landed yet she ask the voice in my head say mockingly.

"If she wanted to know why not offer to pick up your daughter" I say frustration lacing my voice.

It wasn't a secret that my mother and I didn't have a good relationship, hell we didn't have a relationship at all. We talked maybe once or twice every two weeks.
Our relationship was strained, one of the reasons I'm here is to try and fix it.

I know it's going to be a challenge.

Lia just looks at me with a sad look in her eyes. She knows my pain, the demons that haunt my dream and keep me awake at night.

Sigh

>>>

"Wake yo ass up" Lia says shaking me. " "Where here." She says getting out of the car "Come in whenever you're ready" she say closing the door and going inside.

I take a deep breath and check my reflection in the car mirror making sure I look presentable. This is the first time I will be seeing my mother and her family in four years.

'You can do this Ana' the girl in my head (Ana) says encouraging me.

"I can do this" I say giving my self a little pep talk.

Exiting the car I walk slowly towards the front door, extending my hand towards the lock.

'Stop being a cowered' Ana says

I turn the lock and entered the house,to which I was immediately greeted by the arms of my mother being wrapped around me and I froze not knowing what to do.

It felt like I was being hugged by a complete. It didn't feel worm or loving like how a mother hug is so post to feel.
I didn't know this woman any more and she didn't know me.

Standing there stiffly with my hands at my side she gets the message and let's go. She steps back and I look at her and she looks at me.

She looks so much older now in person, all her wrinkles so visible, the gray strands in her thick, long black 4c hair glistening in the light but still.... she so beautiful.

"Oh look pan mi beautiful baby girl." She says tears in her eyes to which I just smile not knowing what to say.

"Welcome home" she says with a big smile on her face and I can't help but think what the fuck but I don't let it come through my lips

"Thanks, but this isn't my home" I reply nonchalantly.

We were now in the kitchen, with Jane( my mother) cooking dinner while trying to have a conversation with me but I wasn't really interested.

"When James come him will help yuh get yuh suitcases dem from outta car" Jane says as she check if the food is ready.

"Actually I'm not planning on staying" I say looking up for the stool I was sitting on in the kitchen.

"Why, mi did wah spend time with yuh and mek yuh get fi know yuh brother and sister" she says in a mouth full but before I could reply I hear the person that I wanted to avoid at all cost and wave of emotion rush over me.

"Honey where are you?" He ask.

I start to shake as memories start to flood in. Then out if nowhere I feel a hand on my shoulder. "You're ok" Lia says smiling at me.

I place my hand on top of hers and smiling back as I relaxed a bit.

I turn and watch as Frank walked into the kitchen and our eyes met. I couldn't what he was thinking.

"Wahm mi baby" he say going over to my mother hugging her and kissing her cheek.

"Hayami, Lia" he say acknowledging our presence. I just nod my head and Lia replys with a simple hi and we would go on to ignore each other for the rest of the night.

>>>>

After the a awkward family dinner Lia and I left and went to her place where we had a fun night catching up and making jokes. We ended up going to bed at 2am.

As I layed in the guest room staring up at the ceiling, sleep slowly creeping in I can't help but wonder what tomorrow holds. Today was a fine start to building back up a relationship with my mother but who knows what's around the corner.

The next day

Feeling the sun on my face I slowly get up and take out my l hygiene products from my suitcases before heading to the bathroom to freshen up.

Looking at myself in the mirror I decide not to change out of my pj's and just to head down stairs.

"Oh, hey goodmorning" Lia says she hear's me coming down the stairs.

"Goodmorning" I say back giving her a light peck on her cheek.

"I made you breakfast and I got called ino work today and mi have wah hair appointment todeh and mi nuh wah late" she say not looking at me as she scrolls on her phone. "So you'll be on your own today, sorry" she says as she eats her food and looks at me sadly.

What tf am I going to do today... sigh we were so post to spend the day together.

Thanks for reading
Keep it real 😘