This Night of Ruins

Jackson drives Allison to the school. I don't remember the reason why. Something about Scott. If you ask me, this is the weirdest place to have a date, or whatever this is.

Right now, I don't approve of him. First he stands her up, (thirty minutes late!) Then he texts her saying to meet him at this hell-hole. Unbelievable. 

"Allison-" Jackson says from outside the car. I didn't even notice that the car stopped. That's when I start tuning in again.

"You have this look on your face like you were going to say 'be careful.'" Allison says back. They start saying other things, flirting. I'm too jealous to listen. I don't care if she's my best friend, she can't steal my boyfriend. She already stole Scott, my old friend.

"The hood on that piece of crap jeep looks crappier than usual." I hadn't noticed Stiles's jeep was here. Not until now. I was too busy fussing over Jackson. But now that I do know that he's here, I want nothing more than to go and find him.

Jackson starts getting out of the car but I stop him before he can get anywhere.

"I'm not staying in the car." I say. If Stiles is here, I want to see him. With how bent his jeep is, he could be just as bad. What if he got into a car crash? I just have to know for sure.

"Do not leave me alone in the car." I say to Jackson, trying to get it through his thick skull.

"Fine. Don't have a melt down." He yanks his hand away from mine. Why do I love him again?

*

"Call her." Jackson says as I take out my phone.

"I already am." I mumble so he can't hear.

I hear Allison's phone dinging from the other side of the metal door in front of me. I push it open, revealing exactly who I want to see.

Stiles.

"Can we go now?" I say, secretly looking over Stiles to make sure he isn't hurt. Allison nods as we stand there like monkeys. Out of no where there's this sound from above us. It sounds like a baby elephant.

Scott shoos us to another room in the school. I still don't feel any safer but at least Jackson is holding me. This is how it's supposed to be. 

"Guys - Can we just wait a second? You guys, listen to me, w - Can we wait a second? Guys? Stiles talking. Can we hang on one second, please? Hello! Okay, nice work. Really beautiful job, everyone. Now - what should we do about the 20 foot wall of windows?" I heard every word he said. But I couldn't listen because I was too busy panicking.

I watch his movements as they all argue. Jackson starts yelling at Stiles about his dad. That's when Stiles punches him. I'm too stunned to move. Allison moves to comfort Jackson. 

Stiles's eyes flicker to me but I keep my eyes on Jackson. I don't feel angry. 

I've wanted to do that for so long.