Chapter 5: Mate - but for how long?

Start from the beginning

I burst through the door of Lucians' room, ready to throw him away from her. But they're not here. She's not here, How? “The dungeons.” 

I make my way to the dungeons as fast as I can. If they're not here, then I don't know where they are, and it'll all be lost. I'll be lost. 

I smell it before anything else, the smell of my mates blood, it brings a small smile to my lips, that familiar scent. Then I hear the screams, and my smile is gone as I remember the reason for her bleeding. 

As I enter the room, I see Lucians arm move forward. The heavy chain in his hand has razor-like ends designed to tear into flesh. In a flash I'm in front of her, the chain hitting my back instead of hers as she dangles there, cuffs on each hand, holding her up, head lolled forward and back cut to shreds. 

Lucian is speaking to me, but I don't hear a word as my eyes take in each cut. My anger begins to build. My mate, this is my mate “what have i done?” I whisper.

“My queen, what is the meaning of this? This is my reward, no? Why are you interrupting my play time? I have only done a handful of things to the girl so far. She is not yet broken. I will return her in one piece, as promised.”

I try not to tear his head off as I remind myself that this is all my doing. I willingly gave my mate to him for him to do as he pleases. This is not his fault. This is mine. I release her wrists and take her into my arms.

“I will give you another reward, Lucian.” 

“What? No, this is mine. You can not take her back before I am finished.” I can hear him advancing towards me, towards us. 

I gently lay Eden on the floor before turning to Lucian, my fists clenching and unclenching.  “You will not lay another finger on her, Lucian. That is final.”

“I did more than lay a finger on her.” He smirks. In a flash, he is skidding across the floor on his ass, my punch to his jaw the cause of his sudden movement. “You will not touch her again, am I clear, Lucian.” 

He laughs as he dusts himself off, picking himself up from the floor. “Always so precious with your toys, Ros. It's a shame, though. She was so tight for me Ros, she screamed so loud, she tried not to, but you know me. I always make th..”

I grab him by the throat, slamming him into the wall. This is becoming my signature move at this point. “What did you do to my mate?” I push him further, unable to control the rage or the monster that is taking over me. “You dare touch my mate? You dare question me? Who do you think you are? You are nothing.” I plunge my hand into his chest, removing his heart as he gasps. “No, you won't ever touch her again.” 

I drop Lucian, ready to return to Eden, only to find her not there. As I close the dungeon door behind me, I can finally smell her. She's not gone far, just exited the dungeons themself. 

“Eden, where are you going?” She freezes at the sound of my voice.

Eden's POV

I freeze when I hear her call to me. What should I do? Do I run? She'll catch me before I take more than a step. Instead, I drop my head, defeated. “I wish he just killed me. I wish you would kill me. Why are you doing this to me? What did I do?” I whisper. I know she heard me. Her hearing is exceptional.

I feel her hand on my shoulder and flinch back in fear. I hear her sigh. “Do you know who you are, Eden? To me?” She questions. 

See, that's the thing, I do know. I heard everything she said to that, that man. He knew too, and he told me whilst he violated me. It brought him great pleasure to know I was the queen's mate. If everyone knew, and she knew. Why did she do this to me?