Chapter Seven

Classes dragged on for what seemed like forever, and by the time I finished my last practice of the day, I was exhausted. I wanted nothing more than to just lie down and stare at the ceiling. The events of last night played in my mind nonstop, thanks to all the gossip that broke out before the party even ended.

All everyone could talk about was how Kieran kissed me, how Theo punched him, and how I slapped Theo. Thankfully, no one seemed to have heard what our fight was about, so the topic of the bet never came up. However, that didn't stop anyone from giving me dirty looks because how could I, a lowly nobody, pull two of the hottest guys in school? If only they knew.

“How are you feeling?”

I slammed my locker shut, Olivia's tentative smile greeting me on the other side. She hadn't said anything when I went back to our room last night, and again this morning, she kept the conversation light. I appreciated her patience, I could see in her eyes that she was curious about what she heard at the party, but she was kind enough to not prod.

“Tired.” I sagged against the locker, a heavy sigh escaping my lips. “I just want to take a nap.”

“Understandable, I have no idea how you can run that fast for that long. I would take two steps and collapse,” she giggled, toying with her braided hair. “About last night…” she trailed off, watching for my reaction.

“You heard me?” I asked.

Olivia nodded. “It's true?” She looked around her before leaning in. “He made a bet on you?” she whispered, concern lacing her hushed words.

“Yes.” There was no point in lying to her. I wasn't worried she was going to tell anyone, Olivia had always been a good friend.

“What an asshole,” she gasped, her brows furrowed in anger and shock.

“Who is an asshole?” Salem asked, coming to stand next to her. “He must have done something awful if he got Saint Olivia to curse.”

I chuckled, rolling my eyes at his antics. “That's hardly a curse, Salem.”

“In Olivia's book, that's borderline witchcraft!” He scoffed before wincing in pain as she smacked him upside the head with her book. “Ouch, alright, I'm sorry.” Salem rubbed the back of his head. “Who were you talking about?”

“Theo.” I sighed again.

“Have you seen him today?” Salem's expression morphed into one of pure enjoyment. “He looked awful. A cast over his nose, a black eye, and a murderous look on his mangled face. It was hilarious.”

“I went the whole day without running into him,” I said. “Let's hope my streak of luck continues.”

“You don't need him now that you have a new man!” Salem winked at me, and I almost choked on my own saliva. He laughed at my reaction. “Don't even try to deny it, V. We all saw that kiss last night. It was electrifying.”

Olivia giggled, no doubt noticing my rosy cheeks.

“It was one kiss, Salem.” I rolled my eyes, trying, and failing, to act nonchalant.

“Oh please,” Salem started, “Don't even try that with me. He was so into you, anyone could have…” He trailed off, his expression going from a teasing smile to a frown. His eyes lingered on something behind me, and as I turned around, I understood what made him stop talking.

Kieran was leaning on a locker, his arms around Makayla's waist, his tongue down her throat.

I swallowed the lump in mine,  indignation burning my face.

“You were saying?” I turned back to Salem, and the pity in his eyes made bile rise up my throat.