Chapter 10 - A Clash In The Making

It's Sunday evening and Riley is sitting in the Room of Requirement, on her own, surrounded by all her schoolbooks. As amazing as it was to go on an adventure with Sharp during the first week, meet her friends from Durmstrang, spend time with Sebastian, and see Ominis' instant karma, there is one thing she has neglected so far. Schoolwork. And for a Ravenclaw with quite a few classes striving for academic perfection, it's a nightmare. The first week was not very busy with schoolwork, but there is still a lot she needs to finish and catch up on. 

As much as the Library should be peaceful and quiet, there is always someone causing trouble. Ravenclaw's Common Room is, once again, inhabitable thanks to Zenobia's gobstones and Everett's antics, so this is the best and safest place to be left alone to study.

Many students around were talking earlier about how Black wants the goblet to choose Champions at the end of September, so there is hope in Riley's heart that everyone, especially Sebastian and Ominis, will redirect their attention there. The only distraction she permits is Sharp taking her on another adventure, or some alone time with Sebastian. Nothing else. No jealousy, no drama, no quarrels. She needs this year to fully focus on her future. If she messes up, that is pretty much it for her. 

Checking the beautiful Grandfather's clock in the corner of the room, it is almost ten in the evening. Curfew is about to start and prefects are about to make her life a living hell, so it's time to make a move and hope that the dormitories escaped the stench of whatever happened in the Common Room. 

Making it right on time, Riley sits down in one of the chairs and starts to re-read her homework. It does not take long to be interrupted, and now she has Samantha sitting next to her.

"Lucan Brattleby sends you this," She hands Riley a note and Riley groans. Crossed Wands. She's completely forgotten about it. And as a reigning champion, she cannot just back out. Maybe a bit of duelling will be a refreshing break from school. When she gets to actually do school instead of adventures.

"Thanks," Riley skims through the parchment and it is, indeed, Crossed Wands super secret invitation.

"How is Gaunt doing? There are rumours he's got carrots for ears and is covered in Dugbog's saliva," Samantha laughs and Riley realizes this is probably the first proper time they are sitting down, sort of talking.

"His ears are okay, his skin as well, but I can confidently say his ego took a massive hit," Riley grins and stops reading. "Hopefully," She adds, quietly, which makes Samantha laugh even more.

"I wish I was there. Do you think he will avoid them from now on?" Samantha asks and Riley looks at her and stops for a few seconds. As much as she would like to say yes, there is a feeling inside her telling her it's not over.

"I'm sure he will find a way to charm some of them and get himself into trouble," Riley says truthfully and it seems Samantha has enough of the conversation, as she stands up.

"I mean, he is not the worst looking for a Gaunt. Shame he's a rude crybaby," She laughs and heads towards the door.

"More of a sassy smartass," Riley mumbles, but not quietly enough.

"Nah, I prefer a rude crybaby," She shrugs and disappears, leaving Riley alone.

Moving to bed, Riley realizes she's the only one there. Where is Erin? Did she go to visit Ominis again? Is he still in the Hospital Wing? She's spent her whole day studying and catching up on homework, so she's got no idea what has happened today. And as much as it may seem unlikely that incidents happen during one day, Riley has learned her lesson last year. Even yesterday was as chaotic as ever.

Rummaging in her bag, she suddenly notices a parchment with something written on it. It is an enchanted parchment Sebastian gave her so they can communicate together. She used to check it all the time.