Chapter 1 - Here We Go Again!

"I can't believe the summer is almost over. This is probably the first time I am not looking forward to returning to Hogwarts," Ominis says as he and Riley sit outside in a small garden. playing wizarding chess.

"It's been quite uneventful if we don't count visiting your family," Riley says trying to concentrate on the game. Somehow, even after playing for the whole summer Ominis is still besting her every single time. It seems like when she's finally one step ahead of him, he is at least five steps ahead of her.

"I am trying my best to forget it," There is bitterness in Ominis' voice and Riley now completely understands why. Even though her grandfather was very nice, mainly because she's got the same eyes as his late wife, the rest of the family was pure terror. No wonder Ominis spent most of his time with Anne and Sebastian instead.

"Have you heard anything from Anne?" Riley asks innocently and Ominis stays quiet for a few seconds before replying.

"Yes. She's doing well. She is very excited to return to Hogwarts and asked to persuade Sebastian to play Gobstones with us in the Undfercorft. Just the four of us," He says and Riley notices he has moved his Pawn, leaving his Queen unattended. Maybe this is how she can finally win a round.

"That would be nice, wouldn't it?" Riley says and moves her Bishop, ready to strike.

"I really don't care. She should be focusing on her O.W.L.s and we should be focusing on our studies as well. The sixth year is not going to be easy. Have you figured out what you doing with classes yet?" Ominis changes the topic and moves his Queen, making Riley frown.

"Sort of. Just need to get it cleared with Professor Hecat. Why are you changing the topic?" Riley smiles and looks at her cousin, who is as emotionless as possible.

"Because that is what we should be focusing on, and that is what matters. I hope she will be healed completely, and that's all I care for, so drop it, okay?" His emotionless face is now contorted into a grimace.

"Check, Ominis," Riley says moving her Queen.

"What? That's impossible. How?" Ominis scowls and moves his wand around, trying to figure out what went wrong.

"Maybe you are not focusing on the game?" Riley smirks and watches Ominis as he tries to compose himself.

"Or maybe I feel sorry for you as you keep losing all the time," He says a bit harsher than usual, but Riley keeps a smirk on her face.

"Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night," She knows exactly what is happening in his head. He's been talking about Anne the whole summer without even realizing it, yet every time Riley mentions her, he goes defensive.

"You can be insufferable sometimes," He says and tries to save the game.

"Must run in the family," Riley whispers and moves her Rook. "Check," She adds, smirking, fully aware she is about to win her first game of Wizarding Chess this summer. She just took Ominis' Queen and she cannot see any way how he can save the situation.

"I see you're having fun," A familiar voice says from behind and Riley almost jumps as she stands up and throws her arms around the person she was longing to see the whole summer.

"Sebastian! Finally!" Riley exclaims and before she can do anything else, Sebastian pulls her close for a kiss, and she does not protest. Deciding to let everything bad that happened last year go, she is ready for a brand new start, with an uneventful year where she can focus on her studies and her relationship.

"Get a room you two," Ominis mutters and waves his wand and the chess pieces disappear.

"Ominis! Are you serious? You are such a sore loser!" Riley gasps when she stops kissing Sebastian and realizes what Ominis did.