CHAPTER 5

𝙃𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙤 𝙀𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚, 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙖 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙧𝙚𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙤𝙛 𝙢𝙮 𝙚𝙡𝙙𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙨 subhangi_2004 '𝙇𝙊𝙎𝙏 𝙒𝙄𝙏𝙃 𝙔𝙊𝙐'. 𝘿𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙮 𝙫𝙤𝙩𝙚, 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙛𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙬 𝙝𝙚𝙧.

𝙏𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙚.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The sound of her anklets echoed through the halls.

Tara quickly went towards the grand puja hall. The morning environment was still dark, signifying the arrival of winters. Panting while standing at the entrance, Padma, the grandmother-in-law of Tara, who was making garlands for the big Shiv-Parvati Idol, said in a cold tone, "Aa gayi" (So, you have come).

"Namaste Dadiji," Tara said in a low voice.

"Hmm, aaj teri paheli rasoi hai, toh is avsar mein bhagwan ka bhog banane se shuruwat kiya jata hai," Padma's cold demeanor echoed in the puja hall.

( Hmm, today is your first rasoi, so you should start it by making the Prasad of the Lord).

"Ji, dadiji," replied Tara.

"Toh khade khade mera muh kya dekh rahi hai? Rasoi mein ja aur bhog bana," Padma said in a rude voice.

( So, what are you staring at my face for? Go to the kitchen and start your work.)

Tara, despite Padma's cold demeanor, silently made her way to the kitchen.

In the large kitchen, Tara worked amidst hanging brass pots and earthenware. The kitchen echoed with the sounds of cooking, and at the center were huge mud stoves, sturdy and aged, witnessing the timeless art of culinary skills.

Assigned the task of making Prasad, Tara focused on preparing kheer and puris. The pot of kheer simmered, filling the kitchen with sweet aromas. Meanwhile, she kneaded dough for puris, ready to be transformed into golden delights in the hot oil.

When frying the first puri, Tara paused. In a gesture of gratitude, she offered it to the mud stove. This simple act held a deep meaning - a thanksgiving to Agni devta, the fire deity. It was her way of recognizing and appreciating the essential forces that fueled her cooking.

In this vast kitchen, Tara's dedication unfolded with each stir and sizzle, a story of tradition and respect told through the simplicity of daily rituals.

Tara was busy cooking, and she didn't realize when Kusum came and stood beside her, quietly watching her prepare the kheer and puris. The kitchen resonated with the sounds of stirring and sizzling as Tara worked diligently on her culinary tasks.

Tara felt a hand on her head covered by veil, turning around to see her mother-in-law Kusum.

"Namaste Maaji," Tara greeted, bending to touch Kusum's feet.

"Sada Suhaagan Raho," Kusum blessed Tara.
(May you always be a married woman)

"I am doing everything correctly, Maaji?" Tara asked, unsure about her work.

Kusum observed Tara's efforts and replied, "Yes, Tara. You're doing well. Keep it up. The kheer and puris look promising. Just make sure everything is ready for the morning prayers"

Tara nodded, feeling a bit reassured by Kusum's response.
.
.
.

Tara placed the sweet-smelling kheer and puris in front of the Shiv-Parvati idol.

"Hmm, go to that corner and bring some dried dung, and light the dhuni in the whole house," ordered Padma to Tara.

Tara gracefully moved through the corridors, the fragrant smoke from the dhuni enveloping each room, leaving behind a trail of soothing aroma. The camphor-infused essence wafted through the air, creating an atmosphere of tranquility.