5

(Kaden's POV)

"Are you sure?" he asks, looking at me with a glare. 

I nod. "Yes. There was no one with him so whoever told you there was is a liar. You know I get things done and I don't care what happens to anyone else." 

He hums and waves me away, turning to one of the men next to him and whispering something. I turn around and walk out. I lied through my teeth about the girl. He can't know she was there or else she will have a target above her head as well as mine. At least I can deal with it, she is defenseless. 

"Did he believe it?" Brendon asks as I get into the car. I nod, pulling my phone out and sending a text to Cora letting her know that all is good. She texts back an okay along with a food order. 

"Cora wants food, lets stop by the store to get stuff. We need groceries anyway." Brendon makes a turn and drives the opposite way of where we were going and redirects the gps to the store we shop at. 

"Did she ask for those doughnuts again?" Brendon questions. I chuckle and nod. 

"She eats too much sugar." He nods in agreement, pulling into the parking lot and parking near the front of the store. It wasn't packed today like it usually was every other day of the week, which is lucky for us because we will be out of here soon enough. 

I get out and walk to the store, I hear Brendon behind me with a cart laughing as he rides it past me like a child. You'd think he was a teenager by the way he acted. 

We walk in and go straight to the fruits and veggies. I pick out our usual things along with a cut up fruit platter for Cora since she likes them. 

"Come on lets go to the candy isle!" Bren pushes the cart away just as I'm trying to put in a pack of strawberries. I groan and follow behind him, when he finally stops in front of the candies I place the box in the cart and look up. Bren is standing there looking like he's about to make the hardest decision of his life. 

"Bren, it's just candy." He waves me off, I roll my eyes and reach over to grab the chocolates Cora likes when I hear a familiar voice. 

"Please! I want candy!" My head turns to the voice and I see her. Serena. I can't seem to get away from her. She's standing at the end of the isle tugging on a guy's shirt. It's her brother who is standing there with a stern look. "Aiden pleaseeee," she drags out the e and he smiles. 

She's wearing a cute sweater with a cat paw print on it, a skirt and thigh high socks that also have kitten paw prints on it. It's the most adorable outfit ever. 

"Fine only one." She squeals and rushes towards us. It takes her a moment to realize that it's us when she reaches the candies. Her face falls as our eyes meet and I suddenly feel bad. Her reaction to seeing me is to frown. 

"Oh, um hi," she says. 

"Serena? oh its nice to see you! are you here to get candy too? I can't pick what to get," Bren turns to her as he holds up five different bags of candy. Serena giggles and I smile. 

"Get them all Bren," I tell him, grabbing two bags and shoving them into the cart. 

"Awh I wish I could get more than one, Aiden said only one but I have a lot of favorites!" 

"Pick them out," I tell her, she gives me a confused look before picking up three packs of candy. I smile and put them into my cart. "I'll get them for you hun." 

"Really?" she asks in awe, I look behind her and notice Aiden walking down the isle to us. 

"What are you doing talking to strangers Serena?" Aiden asks, she turns and gives him a big smile. 

"I know them silly, they are my friends!" 

"Oh? I've never met them before." 

"This is Cora's brother and her brothers friend!" Serena exclaims as she points to us. Aiden perks up at the mention of Cora. 

"It's nice to meet you two, is Cora here?" he asks eagerly, I chuckle and shake my head no. 

"She's at home," Brendon chimes in. Aiden turns to him and nods. 

"Aiden got a crush on her," Serena blurts out. I start to laugh when Aiden puts his hand over her mouth and shushes her. 

"I don't, she's just joking!" Serena shakes her head no, pushing his hand away. 

"Nuh uh! He got a big crush on her! Like this many big!" Serena stretches her hands out wide to "measure" his crush on her. Me and Brendon laugh even more as Aiden's face goes slightly red. 

"Telling people's secret is not alright hun, no matter how funny it may be," A guys voice sounds from behind us. I turn to see an unfamiliar man standing there. He's shorter than me and Brendon, his hair is a mess and he looks like he just crawled out of a sewer. 

"Griffin?" Serena says, her voice now quieter. I look at her and she's visibly shaking. She obviously did not want to see this man. 

"Get the fuck out of here Griffin. She doesn't want to see you," Aiden's voice is angry. I protectively move to Serena's side and put my hand on her back. It seems to calm her down a bit because I feel her hand hold onto my shirt. 

"Who are you?" I ask the slimey man. 

"He's my ex," Serena whispers to me, her hand grips mine tightly. I squeeze her hand, letting her know I'm here to comfort her. 

"Come on Serena, be a good little girl and come back to me like always. I'll forgive you, I promise," Griffin tells her, reaching out for her to come into his arms. I frown and push her behind me. 

"She doesn't want to go anywhere with you. Get the fuck out of here or else I'll make sure you suffer before I kill you. Worthless piece of shit," I say to him. Griffin looks scared for a moment before trying to puff out his chest and look big. I chuckle and pull my shirt up a little, flashing my holster and gun to him. 

This seems to scare him enough that he turns away, muttering something under his breath as he stomps away. I turn to Serena, who is now crying silently. "It's okay, you are safe," I whisper. She shakes her head no, wiping the tears that keep coming. 

"He's gonna hurt me again," she pushes her head onto my chest. I rub her back and kiss the top of her head. "How about you come over and have a playdate with Cora?" She looks up at the mention of a playdate. 

"Aiden can I?" She turns to Aiden who is standing there with a smile. 

"Sure. Let's go pay then I'll take you there okay?" Serena runs from me to him excitedly. I suddenly miss the feeling of her clinging to me. Aiden pulls out a tissue and wipes her face. All I can think is..

I wish she could be my little. 

-

WC: 1244