Wicked: And May The Dangerous Liaisons Rest In Peace, Part One

Start from the beginning

      “You should’ve just told me you didn’t love me anymore, or that you never really loved me at all. I was just pastime while you were laying low from your real life. That, I would’ve been fine with… But you left me without offering any reason at all… even now.” I said, closing my fists on either side of me.

      “It kills me knowing that you think you were just some pastime.” He said, attempting to yet again put a hand on my cheek, and failing. “I did love you.”

      My heart stopped beating. Tears that before were brimming in my eyes now were falling down on their own accord.

      Slowly, I nodded my head in understanding, biting my lip a little as I was. “Past tense noted.”

      “I said I did love you, I didn’t say I loved you.” He said. It sounded like he was reprimanding me.

      “There wasn’t any difference made.”

      “Yes, there was.”

      “I don’t need English lessons now.” I snapped before sighing. “If you want me to stay, I need a reason… an explanation.”

      “I can’t give you that.”

      “What the fuck Mr. Clyde?” I snapped. “One minute, you’re pushing me away, the next you’re asking me to stay. I’m not a toy. You can’t play with me. You can’t have me at your disposal. You have Eva now, I have Darren. Let’s stick with that.”

      Damon shook his head a little. “You can’t be with Darren.”

      “Then give me a reason to be with you.” I whispered in retort.

      Damon stared back into me as I did to him. He stepped closer to me, and with another attempt, he reached out for my cheek again. This time, I let him.

      “Don’t go yet.” He said. “I need this moment with you.”

      “You wanted me to leave you alone, remember?” I said. “Get away from your sight and never appear in front of you again?”

      “I asked you to leave…” He slowly whispered, caressing my cheek with his thumb. “I didn’t want you to.”

      “You practically ordered me to, Mr. Clyde!” I cried softly, barely above a whisper. Tears had started brimming again in my eyes and his figure had slowly gone from clear to blurry. “I can’t continue playing these games with you anymore.”

      “I had to.” He replied, dropping his hand to his side, and the spot where he had been caressing my cheek had started growing cold again.

      “You have to get this straight!” I demanded, almost yelling. “Give me one good reason why I should leave you! Why I should completely forget about us!”

      “Because I can’t do this with you around! Louise you’re hurting me… in ways you can never imagine.” He complained, his eyes crestfallen. “Ways you don’t even know about.”

      My tongue, my jaw, my lips were all disoriented. They can’t seem to move and cooperate with each other. Damon’s expression was at a complete loss. He was letting everything to pour out. Trying to masquerade it but then wanting to give it away. I have never seen him so disconcerted.

      I found myself saying, “How can you be so sure you’re not doing the same to me?”

      He studied me apprehensively and sighed, running a hand through his hair as he was. He looked implicated… troubled. Was the stress of all the business, the marriage… and me was all weighing down on him?