Chapter 10

Ashley loved after parties. Although she had cut herself off from drinking anymore tonight, she could still feel the effects the alcohol had on her small body. Somehow she had made it to the after party venue and changed from her long dress into a shorter, golden colored dress.  As the night at the ESPY Awards after-party raged, Ashley found herself caught in the energetic swirl of the celebration. The vibrant atmosphere, the flashing lights, and the pulsating beats created a sense of exhilaration. She loved drunk dancing, and she tried her best to get Grayson out on the dance floor with her. He just laughed and carried on conversing with his friends in a booth. Angry with Grayson and determined to dance, Ashley beelined for the area where people were grooving. She began to dance happily, and although she was by no means professionally trained, she was highly coordinated and could carry a tune. So she was a pretty good dancer. She closed her eyes as she let the music engulf her. Opening her eyes, she saw Jamie sitting alone at the bar. She felt the need to go up to him. Maybe it was residual anger from earlier, maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe it was something else that propelled her legs over to where Jamie was sitting. As Ashley approached Jamie at the bar, the music thumped in her ears, and the multicolored lights played on the contours of the venue. She could feel the beat vibrating through the floor.

"Jamie Tartt, what are you doing sitting here all by yourself?" Ashley asked with a teasing smile, her energy contagious.

Jamie looked up, a bit surprised to see her, but the corners of his lips curled into a grin.

"Well, someone has to keep an eye on the drinks. Can't let them go unsupervised," he  playfully replied, gesturing to the row of glasses on the bar.

"That's like the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Go enjoy yourself. Tonight's about having FUN!"

Jamie tilted his head, studying Ashley for a moment. "And what about you? Shouldn't you be out there, too? Dancing with the stars or something?"

Ashley's eyes sparkled. "I tried, believe me. But someone," she shot a pointed look in Grayson's direction, "prefers talking. BOOORING. Not my idea of a celebration."

The two shared a knowing look, a silent understanding passing between them. The air crackled with unspoken words, a mixture of old history and something else that lingered beneath the surface.

"Come on!"

Ashley grabbed his arm and he willingly joined her on the dance floor. The movements were strictly platonic, even when she was drunk she knew not to be her usual overtly sexy self when dancing with another man. They continued dancing to the music, and as the song reached its peak, Ashley and Jamie found themselves in a lighthearted embrace, dancing together to the music. The laughter and cheers from the surrounding partygoers blended into the background, leaving only the two of them in their own world.

"I was happy that you won tonight," Jamie admitted to Ashley, his gaze soft and focused on her. 

"WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Ashley yelled. The music was too loud and Ashley was too drunk. Suddenly, her vision started becoming foggy and her head felt light. 

"JAMIE? CAN WE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE? WITH FRESH AIR PLEASE"

Nearly leaning on him, they made their way up a flight of stairs to the roof of the building. The view of Los Angeles from wherever they were was breathtaking. Ashley felt much better after breathing in the cool, outside air. 

"Wow! Look at that view!" Ashley was taking in the sights of the city.

"It's lovely." Jamie said, only he wasn't looking at the city. 

"What were you saying earlier? I couldn't hear you, it was sooo loud in there" Ashley's words slurred. 

"I was just saying that I'm happy that you won tonight."