VIII: Best Birthday Gift Ever

Evelyn and Harper turn 18 today. Adults. It's a weird thought to both of them. It churns in their mind like it's an unreal thought, they didn't really think they'd make it this far, it's been rough so far they were afraid of what will continue to come.

It has been a year since Harper killed the six girls. It still haunts her but it has given her acceptance more than some of the other girls with Drakov. They had 14 girls and now there are  7. The last year had been less eventful. It wasn't like the school where it was the same every day. The classes were never what you expected. Over time they stopped trying to predict the day. Eased the stress, slightly. The classes got harder and more intense. As time went on Harper and Evelyn had been called for more and more personal sessions. They would be taught to coordinate their fighting patterns and killing strategies. They knew why they were pulled away from the rest. After their incident a year ago, all eyes had been on them. Causing all the girls to resent them. All except Yelena. Which really wasn't a surprise. She was as loyal as ever. They didn't know what they would do without her. They could make them feel better in the worst of times.

Over the past year, they have enhanced their ability to hide, steal, kill and manipulate. Harper and Evelyn knew what was coming. They wanted to be prepared, well Evelyn did, Harper was in denial.

"-well your eighteenth birthday is special," Yelena says as she sits down in the cafeteria.

"No shit Sherlock" Evelyn comments, taking a spoon full of her cereal.

"Woah, happy camper this morning aren't we Evelyn?" Harper laughs and nudges her sister with her shoulder, and slurps up some milk from her cereal, loudly.

"Did not appreciate the sarcasm but will let this go, it is your birthday" Yeleana comments with a smirk on her face.

"Well, you got it anyway. You're welcome." Harper smiles.

"Your kindness warms my heart, truly" Evelyn comments while eating more cereal.

"After all these years you're still not a morning person. It is kinda funny," Yelena and Harper laugh a bit before diving into their breakfast.

"Glad my pain brings you joy" Evelyn grumbles.

"Yes, we all thank you dearly for the entertainment Eve," Harper says bored now.

"Calm yourselves, children," Yelena says, laughing and flicking a piece of cereal that had fallen on the table towards Evelyn.

"Children? Pa-lease, we're full-grown adults now. Watch out for my oldness." Harper fleches her muscles to the two girls and they all laugh and shake their heads.

"Those muscles couldn't even scare off a baby. Put those away," Yelena chuckles as the trio falls into a comfortable silence.

"Okay someone please say it," Evelyn says, dropping her spoon, and shifting her gaze between the three.

"Say what? You gotta use your words, Eve." Yelena says, still trying to joke around.

"Eighteen years, and you think she'd have that down packed now, but no," Harper says, poking Evelyn's arm.

Evelyn gives Harper an "Are you serious" look. She was in fact serious. Harper clearly was not catching on to what Evelyn was implying.

"We are 18, they've been privately training us for a year now. They are going to send us on missions. We will have our graduation ceremony today."

"Some happy birthday" Harper mumbles and Evelyn elbows her giving her a glare. "Ow! What?" Harper looks at her. "I'm just saying, it's not like I'm wrong." Harper rolls her eyes.