"Tis true," said Kane, peering out of his windshield at the farmhouse. "Your father did not want this life for you. Though sometimes what we want and what fate has planned for us are two vastly different things."

Elle stifled a laugh at the absurdity of the situation. "I really don't want to get into a debate with you on predetermined fate."

Kane nodded. He took a longer glance at the farm before growing. "On another note; I cannot believe the youngest princess of our kingdom grew up in such squalor." He looked at the farmhouse with a heavy grimace.

"I grew up grateful for what I had and not entitled," said Elle coldly, annoyed by the judgmental eyes Kane was giving the farm animals beyond the fenced yard. He watched the potbellied pig with heavy distaste, and the look caused Elle to become offended for poor Waddles. At that unfortunate moment, the pig had also started to defecate.

"With the exception of upbringing, we are not so different from each other, little sister," said Kane wryly. He sent her a side look. "You were not the only child mother wanted sent away the moment you were born."

Elle snorted. "Did Pele want to send you to Hera for wife training, too?"

At this, Kane cracked a genuine smile. "Our grandfather Alez was and still is a strong believer in prophecy. It was foretold our mother would carry the child of Po, and that child would grow to be one of the four major Hawaiian deities. So here I am." He grinned at her.

Elle blinked a few times. "Pele only had you because it was foretold you would be important?"

"That is the most accurate summary for my existence." Smiled Kane, his brilliantly white teeth glistening. "Mother has quite a penchant for only wanting children if they are bound to lead an important life." Elle noted his clenched jaw upon saying this.

"How many kids does Pele have? How many of us are out there?"

"There are only three living children of Pele. You, myself, and Macaria. Though if our sister has any say, she will lower the count to only herself."

This took Elle by surprise. "Macaria wants you dead, too?"

"Indeed," said Kane grimly. "With the two of us out of the way along with Pele and Alaz, she is the sole heir to the fire kingdom." He looked to Elle with a raised eyebrow. "Did you believe 'twas only yourself that Macaria wished to harm?"

Elle didn't say anything but that was exactly what she thought. "You seem to be doing well for yourself to still be alive all this time."

"Macaria has been in the lowest pits of hell for the last millennia," said Kane darkly. "Her uprising isn't only a negative factor for you, Evangeline, but for our entire family as well."

Elle allowed this information to digest. "Is it safe to assume that she was the one to send Hel to see where I am?"

Kane gave a slight nod. He looked too tall and gangly for the seat of Elle's Jeep. Even if he was uncomfortable, he didn't show it. "Loki and his murderous offspring freed our dear sister from the pits of hell. So yes." He smiled. "It is very safe to assume they are all working together to achieve their individual goals." Elle felt he wasn't being sarcastic with his comment, only honest.

Elle took a deep breath. "Now what? Just watch my back from now on?"

Kane scoffed. "Your godfather and his allies have done an extremely poor job watching over you. That damn elf from winters throne could have easily gotten you killed today. You need better protection."

Elle said nothing. She already assumed Snivel was how Hel had found her. The fact that Kane knew of him only confirmed this theory. Not wanting to mention her divorce papers to a long-lost brother she never knew she had, Elle changed the topic. "What do I do?"

Kane shot her a leveled look as if this was obvious. "Come with me to our family kingdom. We will keep you safe. It is the very opposite of what Winter's kingdom has done for you thus far."

"For how long?"

"As long as need be. Until we destroy Macaria. Or, indefinitely, if you wish."

The idea of being safe and not having any more nightmares of Macaria coming for was comforting to Elle. But she faced another problem.

"I don't really like the idea of trusting you," she said slowly. "I don't know you." She fiddled her fingertips on the top of the steering wheel.
Kane did not look offended at this by the time Elle shot him a side glance.

"I do not exactly trust you either," he admitted with a laugh. "You are on friendly terms with Lord Apollo as well as married to Jack Frost. Clearly you have very poor judgement skills."

"And what's wrong with Apollo?" Elle wasn't about to defend Jack. Although the familiar urge to do so was still near, there was too much anger and hostility on her part to do such.

Kane snorted. "Besides him being an overgrown brat who always wants what he cannot have? Positively nothing." Elle gave him a look but he only grinned. Clearly his criticism wasn't too serious. "I can see I have not swayed you to believe you are safe with the family," said Kane with a nod. "I shall leave, and I shall keep protecting you, but I implore you to reconsider my offer. There is no telling how long it will be before Hel or one of her brothers returns." Elle didn't need to be looking at Kane to know he would vanish as soon as he spoke. Immortals had a way of getting to the bottom line before disappearing. There was no fear to Elle as she sat idled in her grandparent's driveway. She wasn't thinking about Hel or her brothers, or even the threat of Macaria and Loki working together. All Elle could do was sit and think of Jack Frost, wondering what he would do if he was in the same situation she was.

***

A/N
How are we enjoying the story so far? 

A/NHow are we enjoying the story so far?