2. The organization of the Resistance

It was already night when the Lady entered what would be her chambers during her stay at Hogwarts. That double room, divided into an office and a bedroom, was not very luxurious, but it had the basic comforts, and she felt satisfied.

She had not wanted to keep Dumbledore's office, even if the Dark Lord had encouraged her to do so. For one thing, she didn't know what kind of charms and traps the headmaster had hidden, and she felt too exposed in a room that clearly showed loyalty to Dumbledore.

Furthermore, she was convinced that the gargoyle would not make way for her, just as it had done with Umbridge, and she did not want to waste time forcing it to do so.

The Lady looked around, checking the office room, and making sure there were no hidden curses. She didn't let Narcissa follow her, since she knew very well that Mrs. Malfoy had been sent to spy on her, and there were things she wanted to keep secret.

However, Narcissa was terrified of her, and had had a hard time hiding her expression of relief when she got permission to leave her side.

The one who was waiting patiently in the bedroom was her faithful Win. The Lady smiled when she saw her. She could trust her.

***

When she was ten years old, someone tried to murder her.

At that age, the Lady was a real monster. She could torture anyone without stopping to think about it, and her pulse did not tremble when it came to killing. She was a pet in the service of Voldemort, and her power increased year after year.

News of her existence had been leaked to the Ministry, and a search and arrest warrant was secretly issued. Someone like her was not supposed to reach adulthood.

The threat came in the form of a house-elf, and so it went unnoticed. He was not the first one the Lady had seen, as she had several at her disposal, to bring messages, prepare food, or transport her guardians, but apart from Win, she had not bothered to remember the face of any of them.

That house-elf had received very clear orders to kill the Dark Lord's heiress. He had to be quick and lethal and leave no trace. And he had to make sure she didn't survive.

When the Lady became careless and turned her back on him, the elf jumped on her, with a knife in his hand, and stabbed her repeatedly in the back, trying to plunge his blade into her heart.

The girl fell on her knees, overcome by pain, and unable to defend herself. Her vision blurred as blood poured out of her body. But the fatal stab never came.

The house-elf Win had stopped the attack, disarming the attacking elf and immobilizing him. Furious, she made sure the attacker never got up again. Then, with all the care in the world, she assisted her mistress, closing her wounds and healing her with her magic.

She carried her to bed, and did not leave her until she recovered, comforting her against the pain and fever.

They both knew that Voldemort would punish them for their weakness and carelessness, but at that moment that didn't matter. During those days when she fought between life and death, the Lady discovered that she had an ally she could fully trust.

Since that event, Win earned a special place in her heart. That house-elf was the first creature towards whom she allowed herself to feel some affection. Of course, she had to be careful not to show it to the Dark Lord, but by now, the Lady was an expert at hiding her thoughts and emotions.

***

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, mistress. Win has magically protected the bedroom and office. The Carrows stay in a corridor very separate from this one, and so far, they have not tried to spy on or do anything against the mistress."