Meetings, Mockery and Madness

Life had been quite quiet since the unforeseen events of Seattle and Santa Barbara. Maria had recently officially divorced Tommy. Ellie and Dina were back together again.

The largest happening was that Abby and Lev were actually civil with everyone, despite what Abby did. They often came and went, only coming to Jackson once a week to stock up on food and occasionally ammunition. Otherwise, they fended for themselves pretty well.

As for Ellie and Dina... The happy couple still lived on the farm with their beloved spud, JJ. However, due to Tommy and Maria's split and Jesse's unexpected death, Ellie and Dina assisted her with keeping Jackson afloat.

Today was one of those days. It was barely even 8 AM and the towns citizens were already being gathered for a rather repetitive meeting. Usually, these were only to discuss changes on the patrol routes, but not today...

"Alright, everyone... Today, we have a new member of the community. Her name is Riley and I'd love for Ellie to show her around..."

Despite the cord of familiarity being struck within Ellie's heart, she didn't think much of it. After all, there was more than one person named Riley.

It couldn't have been THAT Riley, right? No... No way. No fucking way. Ellie had to shoot her... Yeah, she had to be dead, right? RIGHT?!

As sad as it may have sounded, Ellie wanted her best friend to be dead. Sure, they had a ton of fun nights together in Military School, but in Ellie's book, if you were said to be dead, you had absolutely zero authority to come back like nothing ever happened. Especially considering how the one who shot her was Ellie... This wasn't possible. No, not at all...

With a heavy sigh, Ellie was quick to shake off her seemingly ridiculous thoughts and nodded at Maria's request.

"Sure. Am I on a patrol route today? Or do I just have to be her chauffeur?"

Thankfully, Maria wasn't about to add more unsolicited bullshit to Ellie's list. Especially considering how Ellie would much rather be home with Dina and little JJ.

"No. Just show her around. I have her apartment number written on the key. You're just in charge of showing her around. You'll be home in plenty of time to be with JJ before Dina heads off to work."

Ah, yes... The odd jobs in direct correlation with everyone's patrol routes. Dina worked in the infirmary as a nurse; while Ellie spent her time as a corrections officer for Jackson's local prison. Their schedules were perfectly identical, so they were almost always home at the same time. Today though, Ellie had the day off from work.

"Okay, good." Ellie nonchalantly answered, catching the keys within the palm of her hand and heading towards Dina and JJ first.

Ellie's all time favorite part of her day was capturing her family into one massive group hug and loving on them a little extra on days like this.

Sure, Ellie had changed quite a lot in two years time. She had two missing fingertips, no longer had her beloved switchblade, couldn't play the guitar and forgave someone she never thought she could forgive.

However, with that came the realization that her family would always be more important. Now, between Ellie, Dina, Abby and Lev, they had collectively considered themselves "friends." Something that Ellie and Abby would've never saw as a possibility.

Upon spotting her beloved girlfriend and stepson out of the corner of her eye, Ellie couldn't resist the urge to smile. Ellie could've been in the worst mood possible and yet, JJ never failed at making her smile.

"Awww, hey, buddy!"

Ellie playfully ruffled the newly two year olds hair, triggering the little boy and his mother to laugh softly.