CHAPTER THREE

★彡

THE LODGE was a maze when it came to finding something as specific as the ouija board. Chris had said something about pranking Josh and Sam, leaving Matilda and Ashley to look. It was then Ashley's idea to split up, getting annoyed with how long it was taking to find the board.

Matilda was standing at the doorway of Hannah's room, a spike of guilt pierced her gut. She didn't have anything to do with the prank, but she could've stopped them, could've convinced Jess, could've found Hannah in time, she could've done something.

Slowly, Matilda stepped inside, it felt like she had to walk through a force field, as if her own body and mind were trying to prevent her from going in, but she insisted, they still hadn't found the board.

Hannah's room had gone untouched for a year, a snapshot in time, her bed would remain poorly made forever, her hamper filled with clothes would never be washed. Her books she'd never get to read, her cd's she'd never get to play. The air in the room became thick, palpable.

Matilda hadn't realised she was crying until a tear hit her lip. "God... Fuck..." She whispered to herself, wiping at her eyes with her sleeves. A sob choked its way out of her mouth, and echoed throughout the room, her lips pressed tightly together; not wanting anyone to see her like this. She shakily sighed, having not yet to search the room, though now she didn't want to; she stood stiff next to Hannah's bed, her arms moved to wrap around her chest, hands placed on her shoulders, she thought she smelt Hannah's perfume.

"Tilly?"

Matilda's head snapped up, Chris was standing in the doorway and when her eyes met his, he stepped inside. She hadn't hidden that she was crying very well.

"What's up? What's wrong?" His voice was soft, and he had his arms slightly reaching out; wanting to comfort her, but afraid to touch her. He settled to put his arms back at his sides.

Matilda shook her head, picking at the skin on her lip with her teeth, she worried speaking would only make her cry more, she kept shaking her head. One arm moved to hug her waist, the other rested at her neck.

Chris' concern was only growing, but he wasn't sure what to do, with caution, he reached up to wipe the tears from her face with his sleeve. "Just breathe... Slow and steady breaths, yeah? Do you wanna sit on the bed?"

Hannah's bed.

"No-!" Matilda shook her head, stepping away from the bed, Chris' hand moved to rest on her elbow. "The floor is fine." She sniffled, and sat with her knees pressed against her chest. Chris sat opposite her. 

"I'm sorry you had to see that." She whispered, wiping her face with her sleeves; around her eyes the skin had gone red and blotchy.

"Hey c'mon don't say that, I'm glad I saw it- not in a weird way I just..." He paused, finding his words. "I'm glad you didn't have to go through that on your own." He half smiled.

Matilda nodded, she was grateful, but she remained embarrassed, consumed with guilt. "This room." She replied, eyeing her surroundings slowly. "I thought I could be in here- look at her things, her photos- but I can't, Chris, I just can't..." She toyed with her necklace, rolling it between her index finger and thumb.

"That's okay Til, we don't have to be in here anymore." Slowly, he reached his arms out once more, she held onto his wrists, and stood up, using him for support.