CHAPTER SIXTEEN

★彡

THE GROUP sought refuge from the whirring helicopter in a gathering of large rocks, along the side of the clearing leading to the lodge. Emily and Sam sat leaning against each other, Mike was crouched against one of the rocks, Ashley stood hugging herself, and Chris and Matilda were sat against the tree closest to the group.

"Maybe they'll jump down with ladders like SWAT guys and pick us up." Chris said tiredly, trying to lighten the mood, though his statement had made Matilda curious about they were planning to do.

"Wait..." Emily began, standing up and pointing to the right of the group, toward the hill opposite the lodge. One by one, the group's heads turned to look. "What is that... Is that-"

"Jessica!"

Slowly moving down towards the group was the form of Jessica, being held in the arms of Matt. The first to move was Matilda, joint followed by Emily, Sam and Mike, with Ashley and Chris making their way over too, though not as quickly. They all stopped themselves just slightly in front of Matt.

"Is she-" The words left Mike's throat crumpled and quiet, her face was cut and bruised, her leggings were ripped at the knees and ankles, and her white tee underneath a large green jacket, was speckled with blood and mud.

Quietly, Jess stirred, but remained unconscious. The group let out a collective sigh of relief.

Matt shook his head. "She passed out after we started walking, we didn't know where else to go. She called for you, Mike, both of you." He looked between Mike and Matilda; he then looked to Emily and tiredly smiled. Mike stepped forward, and took Jess into his arms, wincing as he did so, he moved her head onto his shoulder and looked over the wounds littering her body, cursing to himself.

"Matt-" Emily sobbed out, reaching up to hug him, getting lifted off the ground in the process. "I'm so sorry I was so mean and- just- oh my god, I'm so sorry." She sobbed into his shoulder, clutching at the fabric of his letterman jacket.

"Shh, shh, Em, it's okay, we're okay. I've got you." He rubbed her back lightly, keeping her against his chest.

From above, the sound of the helicopter had gotten louder, the group turned, seeing that it was slowly lowering itself down to the large clearing below.

Chris turned to look at Mike, who was watching Jess calmly breathe. "Mike?" He asked hesitantly.

"Yeah?" He replied, slowly turning to face him.

"Where's Josh?"

~

MATILDA SHAY — FILMED INTERVIEW — ROOM 7.

"Did you find him? Josh?"

"The same Josh that cut you? That attacked your friends?"

"It-it's not like that... He was sick- is sick. He went through something awful last year... But he's always been on medication, ever since I've known him... You didn't find him?"

"No. Not yet."

"Fuck..."

Recording fast forwards.