However, Hinata freezes as she clutches her chest and coughs more blood.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

Ino murmurs, "Whoa, did you see his eyes? Do you think he's really going to try to kill her? He wouldn't!"

Sakura asks, "Doesn't it seem like the difference in strength makes it unfair? He's just way too strong! It's a mismatch! Seriously!"

"GO HINATA!!" Naruto shouts. "YOU CAN DO IT!!"

Hinata breathes heavily for a moment before charging at her cousin.

They thrust their palms at each other and even swing out kicks. Neji dodges when Hinata swings her leg and it sails over his head. The thrust their palms at each other.

Neji blocks a strike with his arm but Hinata spins low to throw out her leg.

They resume thrusting their palms and when Hinata gives a cry of exertion, Neji throws her back by striking her under her chin, startling us.

"HINATA!!" Naruto screams as she skids to a stop.

She coughs.

After a moment or two, Hinata charges at Neji with her palm at the ready. But just when she thrusts it forward, Neji thrusts his forward first and I see chakra bursting through the girl's chest.

Blood sprays and she slowly collapses to the floor.

Sakura and Lee gasp while Naruto scowls.

Neji berates the bluenette, "You just don't get it, do you? Your strikes were ineffective from the very start. You're finished." He deactivates his Byakugan and starts walking away.

Guy says, "It's too bad, but after that blow to the heart, Hinata is done."

I notice Naruto clenching the jar of healing ointment so tightly as he scowls that a crack forms in it.

Hayate declares as he steps forward, hands on his pockets, "Since she's no longer able to continue this match—"

"NO!!" Naruto cuts in loudly, startling the proctor. "DON'T STOP THIS MATCH!!"

"Naruto!!" Sakura berates him. "What on Earth are you doing?! Hinata's had it. You can see she's unconscious, can't you?"

But Naruto was smiling and when we look back at Hinata, we were all surprised to see her getting back on her feet. Hinata wobbles when she gets up but steadies herself while clutching her heart, breathing heavily.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Neji demands. "If you continue to fight, you're going to die!"

Neji frowns and it deepens before he activates his Kekkei Genkai once again.

Hinata grits out as she staggers forward, "I am far from finished!"

Neji tells her, "Give up the tough guy act. I can tell you're barely standing. You've been carrying a very heavy burden, having been born to the main branch of the Hyuga clan. And you've cursed and blamed yourself for being weak." Here, he closes his eyes briefly. "But, look, people can't change the way they are. That's just how it is. Just accept defeat and you won't have to suffer anymore!"

Shaking her head, Hinata denies, "No, you're wrong, brother. You've got it backwards." Neji gasps at this. "You see, I can tell, that you're the one... you're suffering much more than I."

"I'm, what...?" Neji asks in confusion.

"You're the one who's all torn up about the fate of the main and side branches of the Hyuga clan."

Neji's face darkens as he scowls. Hayate gasps. The scowl turns into a growl as he charges towards Hinata.

The Gekko shouts, "Neji, no!! The match is over!!" He then races for Neji to try to stop him.

Kakashi, Guy, Kurenai and I flash down to hold back the brown haired Hyuga. Guy has his arm around his neck, Kakashi is holding down Neji's outstretched arm, Kurenai is kneeling while holding his left arm, Hayate is standing in front of Neji with two fingers pointed at his forehead and the others held up in front of his face, while I stand just behind Kurenai with my arm wrapped around the front of the boy's waist, my bangs hiding my eyes.

"Neji! Get ahold of yourself," Guy urges his student. "You promised me you wouldn't let this whole head family thing get you riled up!"

Neji grits out, "Why are you and the other Jounin butting in?! The head family gets special treatment, huh?!"

It was then I notice that Asuna wasn't here. What is he doing, smoking on the balcony?!

Suddenly, Hinata coughs badly and drops to her knees.

"Hinata?!" Kurenai exclaims. She releases Neji to race over to her student and kneels beside her, placing her hand on the girl's back. Hinata continues coughing. "Hinata!"

"Hinata!" Naruto shouts fearfully as he, Sakura, Hiro and Lee jump down from the railing and rush over to us. Naruto reaches her first as Kurenai gently sets her on the floor. "Hinata!! Are you okay?! Hey!!"

"N... Naruto?" She manages to get out. "I just..." He jerks his gaze to her. "I... Do you..." Her eyes start to drift close. "Do you think... I've changed... maybe... a little...?"

Once the Jounin and I were certain that Neji wasn't going to attack Hinata anymore, we release him and I go over to my husband, glaring at the brunette.

I have half a mind to slap some sense into him...

"Hey, you, loser!" Neji calls to Naruto, causing him to whirl around. "I have two pieces of advice for you: first of all, if you intend to call yourself a shinobi, stop that stupid cheering of yours. It's disgraceful! And second, once a failure, always a failure! You can't change that!"

"Hm!" Naruto gets to his feet, glaring at Neji. "We'll just see about that!" Neji smirks which irritates Naruto further. Sakura gapes as he charges at the brunette. However, Lee skids in front of him with his arms outstretched, surprising us. "What are you doing?!"

"Naruto, I get where you are coming from, believe me!" Says Lee, eyes closed. "But the rules say: all fighting must be done officially in a match! The loser beating the gifted genius through sheer willpower..." Here, he looks back up at Neji. "Now, would that not make for an exciting match? Even if... I am the one who is going to have to fight Neji!" Said Hyuga narrows his eyes. Lee glances at Naruto. "Of course, if you ended up fighting him, that is fine, too."

Naruto scowls before turning away, hands on his pockets. "Alright. Fine. You win, Lee."

Naruto turns and goes over to Hinata. Lee gives his Sensei a thumbs up and sparkly grin which Guy returns with a wink.

Hinata coughs up mire blood, startling us.

Kurenai unzips her jacket and places one hand on her chest, the other against the left side of her neck. Kurenai whips a glare to Neji.

He tells the Genjutsu user, "I wouldn't waste your time glaring at me, when you really should be taking care of her."

Jumping to her feet, Kurenai yells at Hayate, "Get a medic! And hurry up!!"

A few medics rush onto the scene as the one in the middle shouts, "We're coming!" They place a stretcher on the floor and put the unconscious girl on it. They begin examining Hinata. "She has no pulse!" Naruto gasps at that.

Another adds, "This is very serious! She has ten minutes, at best. Let's get her to the Emergency Room, now!"

They pick up the stretcher and the one in front commands, "Stand back!"

Naruto steps aside as they rush out.

Naruto steps up to the bit of blood on the floor. He then places his fingers in it and drag them towards him as he promises seriously, "Hinata, I give you my word..." Naruto stands up and faces Neji, holding out his clenched fist. "... I vow to win!!"