Chapter 5

I woke up in White's car as the evening set in, experiencing a sudden alertness. Hastily, I scanned my surroundings, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Where is he?" I whispered, glancing outside.

I sighed heavily as I yawned again.

I immediately spotted my phone on the car dashboard, so I quickly grabbed it and opened it. Bumungad sa akin ang mensahe ng aking pinsan.

Ixchel:
We are being summoned in the ancestral house, Ver.

My forehead creased upon reading that, and anxiety immediately enveloped me. I quickly typed a message to inquire why we were being called there. What does Abuela need from us? Kaagad namang nagreply si Ixchel.

Ixchel:
I think she already heard the news...

Napasinghap ako dahil doon, kaya hindi ko na napigilan ang sarili na tawagan ang pinsan dahil binubundol na ng kaba ang dibdib at hindi na mapakali.

"What news did Abuela hear?" I nervously asked as she answered the call.

Ixchel's sigh came through the other line.

"About the Aceves, I think," she replied.

I closed my eyes tightly in disbelief. Damn, it's not unlikely for that information to reach her. Is our plan going to unravel here? I admit we weren't cautious. Damn it.

"How about the case, Ixchel? Do you think she knows that we're doing something behind their backs?" I asked weakly, my voice trembling slightly.

She sighed, stressed by the situation.

"I don't know, Ver. I'm scared, not for us, but for Wine and also the Aceves. They'll get involved if Abuela starts trouble. I'm sure she'll side with Tita Riza," I felt the fear in her voice.

Abuela rarely summons us. If not for our achievements, she'd occasionally ask for favors. But knowing her, she's cruel and manipulative, even our parents can't stand up to her. Sunod-sunuran lang sila kay Abuela.

"Is Wine with you right now?" I asked.

Among us, she would be the most affected if we were exposed.

"Yes, she's with me. Kanina pa tahimik at hindi ko makausap. Do you want to talk to her?" tanong niya.

I nodded as if she were in front of me.

"Let me talk to her," I commanded.

Despite my nervousness, I continued searching for White's presence. He didn't leave a message or any indication, so I'm worried. Did he go to his class, and that's why I didn't find him when I woke up?

"Ate Ver..." Wine spoke with a cold tone on the other line.

I sighed heavily, the coldness in White's car seeping into my entire system.

"Don't think too much, okay? Sabay-sabay na lang tayong pumunta sa ancestral house," ani ko.

I heard her hum softly.

"We'll fetch you at seven, Ate Ver. Have dinner with White before we pick you up," she suggested, a proposal I quickly agreed to.

After the call, the anxiety in my chest didn't wane. I couldn't afford to be nervous; Lola would notice it immediately.

I am the oldest among my cousins, with only a few months' age difference, yet I hold that role. Abuela always finds a way to taunt me, though she has never succeeded before. But now, my anxiety is at its peak, fearing she might catch me and put Wine in jeopardy.

I leaned back, letting out a distressed sigh.

I was lost in deep thoughts when the other side of the car opened, and White entered, carrying a luxurious paper bag that seemed to contain food.