Chapter 6

"How's your studies going, iha?" Abuela asked, her gaze fixed on me.

I gently placed the glass of water I was drinking back on the table before responding, "It's okay, Abuela," I replied succinctly.

She nodded, seemingly anticipating my answer. Iyon naman talaga ang aasahan nyang sagot dahil kung hindi ay baka bumuga na sya ng apoy.

She posed the same question to Ixchel and Wine, and both of them gave responses similar to mine.

The grand dining table was silent, with only the sound of utensils clinking. While Ixchel and Wine seemed to enjoy their meal, there was no trace of nervousness or fear in their faces. Their expression was like the calm before the storm.

"Why did you suddenly call for us, Abuela?" I asked, as if it were a casual question.

The old woman beckoned, and I saw amusement in her eyes, as if she had some mischievous plans. Hindi talaga maganda ang kutob ko rito.

I just smiled to avoid embarrassing her, as the four of us at the table, she alone seemed outwardly pleased. Nakakabahala ang pagkatuwa sa kanyang mapaglarong mga mata.

"I have a very important favor for the three of you," she said, wearing a peculiar smile that contrasted her usually stern expression.

That immediately caught all of our attention. I noticed a hidden annoyance in Wine's eyes when she shot me a glance before fully focusing on Abuela.

"I'm thinking if I should arrange the three of you with the other powerful heirs from the known families here in Isla De Veran," she said with a smile.

Natigilan ako at alam kong ganoon din ang mga pinsan ko.

I maintained a serious expression, but my mind was already cursing. Nababaliw na ba talaga sya? What on earth is she thinking, planning even our marriages? Marriage is sacred! Why won't she just let us choose our life partners in the future, instead of orchestrating it herself?

"I'd like you to marry the only son of the Villones Group of Companies, Ashiyarra, iha," she said, fixing her gaze on me.

Despite my attempt to conceal my reaction, I was shocked by her statement and the person she wanted me to marry. What the freak? Seriously? Out of all the prominent families, she chose White for me? My best friend's brother? Gosh, she's so sick!

Are you out of your mind, Abuela? I wanted to blurt that out, but I restrained myself.

I heaved a deep sigh instead.

"He's younger than me, Abuela," komento ko.

Napansin ko ang nag-aalalang tingin sa akin ni Ixchel sa gilid ng aking mata ngunit hindi ko siya nilingon.

Abuela laughed heartily, as if my issue was trivial.

"What's the big deal, iha? Isn't it easier if he's the one you're set up with since he's your friend's brother?" she remarked.

I swallowed and stayed silent, opting to bow my head instead because of what she said.

Anger engulfed my system as I struggled to calm myself, refraining from uttering words that could offend her.

I raised my gaze, confronting Abuela's cruel eyes.

"Lure that kid into marriage, iha. Lure him to marry you," she said with a strange smile on her lips, as if expecting that I would do as she pleased.

I pressed my teeth into my lower lip with a firmness that mirrored the intensity of my internal thoughts, and then, deliberately and slowly, I began to nod in agreement.