The Day you Broke my Heart

Continue

After Ben left the scene, Palm cursed under his breath and looked at Nueng. "WTF," he muttered.

"I didn't expect this from you," Palm said to Nueng.

"I don't live up to your expectations, Palm," Nueng replied in an equally bitter tone.

"Are we seriously doing this before our wedding?" Palm asked, anger evident in his voice.

"I don't understand why inviting Ben has anything to do with our wedding," Nueng said irritably.

"Damn it, Nueng, you are hurting Chopper, me, and Bas. How can you invite him without consulting with us?" Palm gritted his teeth in anger and held Nueng forcefully.

"I knew," Chopper finally uttered some words after a long silence, causing everyone to fall silent.

"Chopper..." Palm began.

"I said I knew... Nueng told me before, and I don't care who he invites or not to his wedding. It's his decision, so can you all please stop this argument?" Chopper looked at Nueng who couldn't even looked at him in shame.

"But Phi Chopper..." Bas was about to say something.

"Enough, Bas! We are here for Nueng & Palm's wedding. So please behave," Chopper said, cutting Bas off with a stern voice.

"And Palm, just because my cousin is marrying you doesn't give you the right to behave like this with him. Nueng is free to make his own decisions." After Chopper said that to Palm, who was holding Nueng's hand in anger, realized what he was doing and released him from the hold.

"I am sorry, Nueng," Palm finally noticed his action and apologized to Nueng.

"Let's stop this argument before guests notice anything," Chopper said.

"But Chopper, are you okay?" Palm asked worriedly, trying to find any discomfort from his action.

"I am! So don't worry. He doesn't affect me anymore. He is a guest, and treat him like one," Chopper reassured them.

"Okay, if everyone is calm now, we need to focus on attending guests. Nueng and Palm, Mr. Richard wants to meet with you, so please go attend him. Chopper and Bas, come with me; I will introduce you to some of my friends," Nueng's mom replied, trying to divert the boys' attention.

"Aunt, you take Bas with you first; I'll follow you both afterward. I have to change my shoes; they're kind of uncomfortable," Chopper replied.

"Then I'll come with you," Bas insisted.

"No, you go first; I'll be back in a few minutes, I promise," Chopper assured Bas, who looked worried.

"Let's go, Bas, Chopper needs some time, okay?" Nueng's mom took Bas's hand to take him with her.

"Okay, but please come fast; I'll be waiting," Bas said worriedly.

"I will," Chopper assured again with a smile.

Once everyone went to greet guests, Chopper went to his room. Once he entered and closed the door, he fell to his knees. Slowly, he sat down and leaned against the door frame, silently looking at nothing as tears filled his eyes and his mouth trembled. Finally, the emotions he had been hiding in front of his family exploded. His hands, which he had been clutching the whole time, now had red marks.

After a long silence and silent cry, Chopper went towards a wardrobe and found a memory box that he always kept hidden with him wherever he went. He sat on the floor, opening a box that contained seemingly trivial items: a few pictures of teenage boys, some handmade cards, a bracelet, a chain, an earring, and a ring, all of which might have been inexpensive. It also had a memory book that was almost worn out.