chapter 7

We sat on the rooftop, while Lucario and Charizard trained together. They were both rather equal in strength, Leon was surprised by the might of my friend. But of course I knew that it was just Lucario using wits against power.

While the two battled, me and Leon were talking about our lives as the sun began to drop. I could tell he was trying not to seem full of himself.

"Since then I've been Galar's 'undefeated champion' and kids look up to me like I'm the strongest trainer in the world." He didn't have a whole lot to add into the story. "I don't have many other activities to do, but I enjoy being called out to help people in sticky situations."

"Do they ever get annoying," I questioned from experience, "or ask too much from you?"

He chuckled, moments clearly flashing before his eyes. "They do on the rare occasion. But I'll do anything to be useful."

I hummed as he finished, satisfied with his answer, then returned to the session between the dragon and the fox. Neither of them where holding back now. It was quite exciting. I tucked my knees up to my chin, and rocked back and forth. I tend to do this when I'm bored.

There was a moment of silence and we admired the orange sky. The clouds were a gorgeous shade of grey when they blocked out the sun. The cool breeze was pleasant after a rather warm day.

Naturally, a certain someone ruins the peaceful moment with the dreaded query, "What got you here, then? In this situation I mean. With people hunting you down, and whatever."

I shrunk back into a corner and drew my mask over my nose. This was a good way to show that I'd rather not talk about it. But I felt the need to get it off my chest.

"I ran away from home seven years ago. My family were poor, and me and Riolu at the time thought it would be best to give them less mouths to feed. Well, it was his suggestion really. He took me to a shrine of ancient legends of this region. Their spirits are known to help those in need. They represent peace and balance. One gave me the chance to speak to them. The other gave me their powers. I stayed with my friends in the forest for all of those years."

"You ran away, just for that reason?"

"No." I shook as I began to sob. Tears streamed down my cheeks. "They tried to get rid of him, Leon! I didn't know what to do! He kept coming back, and he was my best friend. My only friend! But I still miss them!"

He drew me into a hug, without my consent. His arm was wrapped around my back. He whispered words of comfort, and claimed he probably would have done the same.

"I can't go back now. I don't know where they are. But I'm sure they are doing better off without me."

"You know," he started, "I think they'd be proud of you. You chose what was right for you. You took responsibility and now you're dealing with one of the most difficult challenges possible."

A soft hand was felt on my cheek, as he wiped away my tears. "The two ancient beings, they said that I needed to show people how to accept what is different from them. I'm still working out how to do that."

"Then I'll be here to help you with that. But I've only got four more days before the next tournament."

That's not long, I thought. But I promised myself to make the most of it.

We both turned to admire our partners, whom had turned a mere training session into some form of strong competition. I, unlike Leon, could see where this was going.

Charizard used seismic toss, which was done by grabbing Lucario by the waist, and dropping with him from high in the air. But instead, Lucario escaped using shadow sneak, and then pushed the surprised dragon into the ground, with more force, with an aura sphere.

The poor Charizard had fainted, and Lucario stood in victory before helping his opponent to his feet. I remembered what Leon had said, and teased, "Strongest trainer in the world, huh?"

He looked incredibly shocked. I suppose he hasn't seen his Charizard knocked out in a while. I waved my hand in front of his face in an attempt to snap him out of the trance. He held his head in shock and awe before he could speak again.

"How... did he...?"

I crossed my arms in pride, "he never passes the opportunity for training, and has a pretty good move set. He's always changing it though. Suppose he doesn't want to be predictable."

"Well... Um. It's getting late, I gotta get Charizard back to health, and I'm starved. Wanna come with?"

"Won't anyone want me dead?"

"Not when you're with me. And it looks like Lucario can manage any threats."

"Sure." We carefully scaled the side of the building, Leon using Charizard and me and Lucario hopping from ledges.

---

He'd told us that he knew somewhere we could get dinner, so we blindly followed him, while keeping a low profile.

So far, the elegant streets were almost empty, and nobody there took the time to notice us. Then again it makes sense to not do a late shopping trip while everyone else feasts on their meals. Of course the city would fill up again soon, and it would do so soon.

On instinct, I lifted my mask to my face as I began to notice a growing crowd. I silently cried out, hoping not to be easily recognised. I began to get nervous, but thankfully Leon stopped in front of a red painted wall.

On the red bricks was a black board and poster for the company. Then huge spaces between the bricks showed the inside of the small restaurant, it took me a moment to remember the function of glass. You wouldn't exactly find this material in a forest. It certainly made me feel quite daft though.

After Leon spent a moment checking the blackboard, that I'd defined as a guide for what the diner served, he lead us in. He'd also asked me about my favourite sweet and spicy berries, which I'd answered curiously.

We walked in, and then I began to receive those dreaded looks. There were too many people in the building, and I began to feel uncomfortable. But I stuck with my guide, knowing I was safe with him.

Leon took me and Lucario to a table and seat and we followed instructions. We waited to be served, however I still didn't know what we were waiting for.

"Where are we?" I finally decided to ask, "And how long will we be here?"

"I've just ordered a Galarian style curry." He explained. "Simple but delicious recipe used by trainers while camping. Now it's just known as my region's signature dish. I'm glad I've found a curry house here! I'm hoping Lucario is fine having whatever you have."

"Of course."

The service was very quick, which was truly to my delight as hunger tugged at me. We were presented with a plate of rice and reddish brown sauce. It looked incredible! Smelled just as good.

I was prepared to dive right in, but was reminded by Leon of the cutlery that rested next to it. I already didn't believe I could get used to this. But I tried. After several attempts to scoop the rice and sauce onto the fork (not the best tool for this by the way), I could finally taste it. And oh my life--

"This is the best thing I've ever eaten!" Leon laughed at my sudden determination to empty the plate, while Lucario ate casually next to me. Pokémon are odd with taste buds, so he was really missing out.

It was sweet in flavour, but had a spicy and slightly bitter aftertaste, yet it all worked together perfectly. Our family couldn't afford to make any meal this big, so this truly was a delight for me.

Some of the other people in the building were distracted by what Leon told me was a television, or TV. And guess who was on it. I pointed to my friend's pre-recorded double, and he hid his face in amused shame.

As I observed further, I noticed how much more self-centred in front of fans. No one would expect his kindness to me in person. Does everyone actually like that when the world is watching?

I expected to be interrupted by those who had been watching us uneasily, but Leon was right. Him being there was like a shield for them. He was someone everyone here could trust.