Chapter 9

Okay, I feel absolutely horrible about lying to Calum.
I've never not told him the truth. At least today will be better, with Jade's party to enjoy. It'll be nice just to relax and celebrate her. I am so ready for no drama.
————
The next morning, as the warm summer sun rose over Calum's house, Calum and Michael stood in his light-stewed kitchen and packed up three straw picnic baskets for Jade's birthday party.

"Sandwich," said Calum, tossing one to Michael. He caught it one-handed, like the skilled athlete he was. His short-sleeved maroon hoodie showed off his biceps in action.

Calum, who'd chosen to wear a sporty shorts romper to the summer soirée, laughed, then started to playfully pluck apples from the fruit basket and toss them to Michael with perfect precision. He looked up as Justin, all smiles and cheerfulness, walked into the kitchen.

"Good morning," Justin said with a spring in his step. Wearing a black-and-white diagonally striped shirt and white jeans, Justin had clearly put effort into looking extra handsome for the party.

Justin wanted Jade's day to be as wonderful as she was. Jade was always doing thoughtful things to make everyone else feel special, and that day he planned to do the same for her. He'd picked a bouquet of wild bluebells that matched the color of her eyes, brought several giant birthday balloons as cheery as her smile, and ordered a yellow layer cake with vanilla buttercream, light blue frosting, and pink fondant bow—her favorite.

"I really think she's gonna like the cake, you guys," said Justin, who'd had Happy Bibbidi-Bobbidi birthday, Jade! scrolled in icing along the top.

"Oh yeah?" asked Calum.

Justin had a huge grin on his face as he walked to the pink bakery box, but suddenly, he frowned with surprise. A giant slice of the cake was missing. "Oh, no! Who got into Jade's cake?" he asked, exasperated.

What kind of evil person would eat someone else birthday cake?
—————
Navia and Jesy sat beneath the lilac vines on Calum's back patio and laughed with delight. Their hands and faces were covered in telltale icing, and cake crumbs cascaded down their bright party dresses. "Dee-licious," Jesy said, giggling.

"I especially liked the lack of dirt," chirped Navia, who had one received an actual mud pie on her birthday.

"And the lack of flies," Jesy agreed, licking her fingers. Sprinkles tasted better than bugs.

Navia took another huge bite and nodded in agreement. "Want some?" She offered her plate to Jesy, who had already finished every last crumb of cake on her own plate.

"Thank you," Jesy said, and happily gobbled up more. The two daughters of villains agreed cake was definitely the best thing about life in Auradon so far.
————
Mouthwatering birthday cake was no longer a novelty for Harry, but he was looking forward to Jade's party for other reasons. The past couple of days had been über-intense, and he gladly welcomed a few hours with his friends at the Enchanted Lake. He'd wrapped Jade's present in a big purple gift bag and was wearing new purple denim skorts for the special occasion. But no sooner had Harry exited the glass French doors to Calum's place than he was greeted by a mysterious explosion of hallowing pink smoke.

"I was hoping you were home." Harry heard the familiar voice of Sleeping Beauty's son, whipped his head around, and stared at Ashton incredulously. Ashton looked utterly villainous. He cradled Anne's scepter in his right hand and, with an air of entitlement, wore the queen's majestic sapphire crown on top of his magenta ombré hair.

"Huh? Is this a joke?" asked Harry, sincerely wondering if the precious prince was off to another one of his lame costume balls. "What are you doing with the crown and scepter?"