Chapter 7

Life was so much simpler on the Isle, when my only tough decision was what to steal for breakfast.
—————
Cole's picturesque palace was built from gleaming white masonry and sat perched on a noble hilltop overlooking the rocky bay.

It featured round turrets, tall regal spires, and a wide rampart that encircled the entire property. The countless palace wings included an armory, a stable, a formal conference room, a ballroom, a carriage house, and, because he was such a thoughtful son, suites for both of his parents.

Ariana's parlor was painted a sunny buttercup yellow with white trim. The cheery room was filled with cushy floral couches, fresh flower arrangements, and a baby grand piano.

King Cole and Harry stood in the parlor and huddled urgently with Ariana, Luke, and Becca. The tension in the air was thick.

"I think we all know why we're here," said Luke, his bushy brows furrowed behind his black-framed glasses. "The people are in a panic about Des. He almost got out."

Becca spoke up with concern. "Who knows what he would have done if he escaped?" She tsked, imagining the horrid repercussions.

Luke, one the king himself, narrowed his eyes and stated his true feelings with authority. "We can't risk having another villain escape."

Everyone agreed, but no one had a solution.

Harry pursed his lips. "I really feel like it's my fault. I'm supposed to protect Auradon," he said. He crossed his arms against his violet wrap shirt and looked down at the floor.

"You did—you do—protect Auradon," Cole said, giving Harry his full support. Harry was not to blame.

Luke shook his head, taking any thought of responsibility off Harry and placing it firmly on the impenetrable barrier—or rather on its numerous recent openings. "Every time we open the barrier, we're exposed to danger." He shuddered at the sentiment and listed the vicious villains who'd cleverly escaped the Isle. "Anne, Sabrina, Des." This was why he'd created the Isle and its barrier in the first place: to keep their enemies out.

Beeeeeeep! Cole's cell phone sounded its high-pitched alert. Cole took his phone from his blue suit pocket, checked his message, and stepped back in shock. His eyes narrowed as he reread the text. As if the day could get any worse . . .

"Anne's scepter and the queen's crown have been stolen," he said with dread.

Everyone else in the room gasped in unison.

"Sabrina," roared Luke, shaking his sizable fist in the air.

The group exchanged fearful glances at the fateful thought.

Stressed, Cole ran his hands through his raven-black hair. "We don't know that, Dad." But even he wasn't convinced as he said it.

Ariana crossed to Luke and grabbed his arm. "When people hear this, they'll never come out of their houses!" she exclaimed, and looked out at the kingdom through the large bay window. "What do we tell them?"

The sun shone through the gauzy curtain, but the mood inside the room was dark and somber.

These were troubling times. The room fell silent, and Auradon's leaders contemplated all the horrific events of the past twenty-four hours.

Ariana, Luke, and Becca looked to Harry for guidance. With utmost and reverence, Ariana asked, "Harry, what do we do? How do we keep evil out of Auradon?" Her dread was palpable.

Harry felt the weight of everyone's eyes on him. The words he had to say were troublesome. He struggled to get them out, knowing they would change the course of Auradon forever. "I think that there's only way to guarantee their safety. And I think that there can't be any more in and out." He hesitated, then uttered the words he never thought he'd hear himself say. "I think that we have to close the barrier forever."

Silence filled the room. But slowly, Luke, Ariana, and Becca nodded in agreement.

"No," howled Cole, refusing to accept the drastic measure.

"Son," said Luke emphatically.

"No," repeated Cole. Disheartened and discouraged, he walked to the other side of the room. His soul felt crushed. There had to be another way.

"Cole," Harry called after him.

"No, no, no, no, no," said the king. He refused to give up on the kids of the Isle.

Harry ran after Cole. "I do not want to take away your dream," he said painfully. After all, it had been his dream, too, to bring all the inculpable Isle kids to Auradon and give them a fresh start. But at what cost? "Because it was so beautiful. And it's why I fell in love with you." He looked Cole in the eye, took both of his hands in his, and grappled with what to do.

He was new to this governing thing and found it terribly to work out. "But as kings, what's our duty?" Harry asked, already knowing the answer.

Cole's voice caught in his throat. "To protect Auradon." He shook his head with uncertainty and took Harry's hand gently in his own. This went beyond anything he'd ever expected to ask of Harry. "Don't know what this would mean? All those kids. Are you prepared for it?"

Harry's green eyes filled with tears. "I know what it means," he said, looking at Cole in defeat. How had everything gone so wrong so quickly? Hadn't it been just the day before when they went welcoming the sound wave of Isle transfer students? "And no, I'm not prepared for it. I just think that we have no other choice." There was no way to open the barrier and bring Isle kids over without risking a villain breakout. So from that point forward, children of the Isle would stay condemned to the Isle. The thought brought a limp to his throat.

Luke, Ariana, and Becca listened and somberly considered the grim solution. Luke turned toward Cole. "Son, Harry's right," he said.

"I just don't think that we'd forgive ourselves if something happened," said Harry. He walked back toward the others and tugged at the dragon-and-heart pendant around his neck. He knew the true evil nature of many of the Isle's villains and imagined the worse. This was the only way he could completely protect Auradon and its people from harm.

Cole stared out the window solemnly, shook his head grimly, and with deep heartbreak let his dream of a united Auradon and Isle die.