"At this pace, he's going for a record." Rossi says.

"Yeah, and quite the imagery. What's he trying to say?" Kate asks. "A torso by itself has no life."

"Right. It can't survive." Rossi says. "It might be how he sees himself."

"It could also be a simple forensic countermeasure." Rossi says. "He dumps the toros after getting rid of all the pieces that can identify his victims."

"That would make sense for someone who's criminally sophisticated, but this guy's leaving his DNA all over the torsos." Derek says.

"Well, we've kept tabs in CODIS. He's not in any system." Rossi says. "But it's still a risk for him to taunt us." He says. "Hey, Einstein." He calls to Spencer. "You're awfully quiet."

"I'm just reading here the M.E. thinks the victims were alive for 48 hours while he disarticulates." Spencer says.

"That means the unsub's sexual gratification comes from cutting." Kate says.

"Exactly. He wouldn't go to these extremes if he were merely discarding the limbs." Spencer says. "He obviously enjoys the ritual. It's some kind of torture."

"So if it isn't about easy disposal, the limbs could be his trophies." Derek says.

"He'd need preserving agents and isolate." Hotch says. "Garcia, come up with a list of suppliers in Southern California. We'll cross that with a geographical profile when we have it."

"Keywords sodium dioxide and silicate." Spencer tells her.

"You are the best. Thank you." She tells Spencer.

"Tell them we're on our way." Hotch says.

"Yes, sir." Penelope says.

+++

"No head, hands, prints, or dental records." The M.E. says. "He's not making it easy."

"What do you know about this victim?" Derek asks.

"I haven't completed the internal exam yet, but if she's anything like the others, she'll have traces of some leather particulate in her stomach." She says.

"So maybe he gags them with a belt as he tortures? He's definitely a sexual sadist." Derek says.

"That's my guess. What I know for sure is she's got a good muscle tone and even has tan lines from a sports bra, indicating she's active."

"Both females were in shape, not malnourished?" Spencer asks.

"No." The M.E. says.

"It's unlikely they were transients." Spencer says. "What do we know about the offender?"

"He has a decent knowledge of the anatomy." The M.E. says.

"You think he has medical training?" Bedelia asks.

"Not necessarily. He could be a butcher or a hunter. The first step in amputation is ligating the supplying artery and vein, which the offender did."

"Well, that would make sense if he's trying to keep them alive for the torture." Bedelia says.

"The next step would involve an oscillating saw, but he opted for a long-angled blade."

"And he'd have to be pretty strong to make a clean cut like that." Derek says.

"Absolutely." The M.E. says. Spencer pulls the sheet back a bit to inspect the body. "And they're identical on each victim. The decapitation was one swift, clean cut between the second and third vertebra. No hesitation."