26|back in the games

Start from the beginning

James, the solider who shot her, is standing in front of Cassandra. For a second, Pearl thinks she is hallucinating because she knows Coriolanus took care of him.

He was tortured.

But James looks like his skin was never scarred.

She's been staring for too long, and their eyes lock. Pearl can't tell if he feels sinister or terrified. He would have ended her life if Coriolanus wasn't there.

The sad fact is that Pearl's life is almost nothing right now. She is forced to abide to the rules of the Capitol, and always under Coriolanus's watchful eye.

James completely stops his conversation, his lips curling into disgust. "What is she doing here?"

Cassandra is likely unaware of what James did to her. No one in their right mind would have put them in the same room if they knew of their past history.

"She's completing her final training as a Head Gamemaker."

James actually snorts. He's laughing while looking her up and down like a judge. "It completely makes sense to put a rebel as our Head Gamemaker. What the hell was Snow thinking?"

Pearl doesn't exactly support anything about Coriolanus, but she will surely do anything to put someone as awful as James in his place.

He stands much taller than her, but Pearl looks more powerful in every way. "I'm sure you know the extent of Coriolanus and I's relationship, yes?"

James snickers.

"Or did you not notice his concern when you shot me?"

Pearl smirks, her hand colliding with his chest. James stumbles back as Cassandra watches in disbelief.

"I could easily get him to end your life at any moment," Pearl whispers. "I would watch how you speak to me, James."

Cassandra comes in between them. "That's enough." Pearl can tell she's on edge as she looks at James. "You shot her?"

James, who is clearly frightened, says quietly, "It's a long story."

James leaves the training area without another word, and Pearl feels satisfied. He got the scare he needs.

But then again, Pearl feels like the monster the Games made her into. Her voice was threatening, and she looked like she was hunting down her prey.

If Pearl felt guilty talking back to James, how could she go through with killing the man she loves?

This wasn't going to be easy.

DAY ONE OF TRAINING

A hand traces Pearl's arm. The hair on her skin goes up as lips explore her fair skin. Pearl is holding her breath as Coriolanus does what he does every morning.

Everything feels different again. It feels like how it did when she first arrived at the Capitol. Pearl has this nervous tingle in her stomach knowing that she is going to do something terrible to him.

Coriolanus eventually climbs out of the bed and Pearl follows. "I have to go fulfill my duties, and you have to go to training. Want me to bring you there, rose?"