1|the reaping

HER RAPID BREATHING WAS HEARD AGAINST THE THE RUSHING WAVES IN THE WATER

HER RAPID BREATHING WAS HEARD AGAINST THE THE RUSHING WAVES IN THE WATER. Pearl Bazin tried her best to relax, but it was impossible.

The water was as clear as ever in District Four, and she hoped that it wouldn't be her last time seeing it. Pearl wished that she wouldn't be ripped from the place she's called home her entire life.

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and turned around to see her little sister. Pearl glanced at the water one last time before picking herself up and smiling.

"Mom says we have to go."

Pearl imagined her mother sending little Marie to retrieve her for the Reaping. What if Pearl just didn't show up? What if she took a boat and disappeared in the sea?

What would Snow think about that?

She was referring to the president of Panem, Coriolanus Snow. Panem has been an awful place ever since the Dark Days. The Capitol has created The Hunger Games, a system that sends 24 kids from the Districts to fight to the death each year. There is a female and male tribute from each District, and one lone victor emerges as victorious.

Snow became the new president last year, and he has made everything way worse. He was still implementing ideas for the games beforehand, working under one of the past Head Gamemakers, Dr. Gaul. The games have always been intended as punishment for the Districts after the rebellion, but Snow has turned them into a sport. He makes people want to watch the games; he makes people excited for children's deaths every year.

Pearl is barely making the cut off for the Reaping this year. She's eighteen, but turning nineteen in just weeks. She's furious that she is even still eligible. If the games were just a month later, she wouldn't even be able to be reaped.

Pearl is however more worried for her little sister. Marie is fragile, and she would not be able to survive the torture of the Hunger Games.

At least Pearl has some developed talents she can put to use. She is skilled with tridents and extremely good with the water. She is a good swimmer and fisher like many of those in District Four. Marie is only thirteen, and not very strong.

Pearl may look innocent, but she has a very big mouth on her.

"I'm coming, Marie. Just give me one more minute."

Marie smiled and ran up the hill towards their house, her light-colored dress flowing behind her. Marie is saddened about the games, but she doesn't quite understand exactly how brutal they are yet.

Pearl began to walk up to the house in dread. She looked truly beautiful with her silky locks partially braided and her skin smelling of fresh roses. Her dress was a bit much, but everyone who saw her walk by looked in awe.

Her mother just gave her a simple nod as she walked slowly by Marie's side. Both of them had to have their fingers pricked to draw blood just like every year.