Chapter 28: Onward

Start from the beginning

"Hope I'm not interrupting something," suddenly said someone.

Bowser let out a sudden gasp, his eyes widening in surprise as he turned his head towards Luigi. The man was standing there, his trademark green hat was tilted backward on his head, and his bags were casually slung over his shoulder. Luigi gazed up at Bowser, his eyebrows raised in curiosity as he noticed the king's glasses perched on his snout. With a hint of smugness in his voice, Luigi remarked, "Huh. I didn't know you wore glasses."

Bowser's eyes narrowed, and he quickly removed the glasses from his face, concealing them in his massive hands. "I'm putting a bell on you," he growled in irritation, his frustration evident in his tone.

Luigi laughed. "I knocked! You're the one that's spaced out. Plus, you say you're going to but never do,"

Bowser mimicked him and turned his attention to the papers on his desk. Luigi couldn't help but chuckle at his attempt to divert the conversation. He stepped forward and sat on his desk; the man rummaged in his bag before pulling out a small device and setting it in front of him. Bowser raised an eyebrow, "What's this?" he asked.

Luigi pointed at it. "This is a pager," he replied. "It'll let me send you a message, in case there's another change of plan."

"Oh, yeah. In case the ships are doing barrel rolls again, I can get everyone below decks in time," Bowser quipped.

Luigi laughed nervously at that. Bowser smirked at that; he found it heartwarming that Luigi would help him out like this. His smirk slowly transformed into a genuine smile as he realized the depth of Luigi's support; from helping him care for Junior to helping him emotionally.

The human returned the gesture and smiled back at him. Bowser put his glasses back on, "Thanks for all the help, L," he said.

Luigi waved his hand. "Oh, don't mention it. I did promise to keep in touch between your travels,"

The two looked at each other warmly. Bowser nervously tapped a claw on the armrest. It felt... strange to think the two would be away from each other; it certainly made his heart ache since he was aware of his feelings toward him. Plus, the army, who were previously cold and distant toward the human, now couldn't get enough of him.

Luigi possessed an uncanny ability to bring out the best in people, even those who were known for their villainous ways. His kind-hearted nature and unwavering optimism seemed to melt away the icy barriers that had long separated Bowser's minions from the rest of the world. So, it made sense why he would want him to stay. Maybe, he should ask him to come along; it would certainly help if Princess Daisy got... agitated once they landed in Sarasaland.

Gathering his nerve, Bowser opened his maw to speak but was cut off when there was a knock on the door. Annoyed, the king turned his attention towards the door. With a deep breath, he composed himself and bellowed, "Enter!"

The door creaked open, and Kamek walked inside. His wrinkled face wore an expression of urgency as he stepped into the room. "Your Highness, we need your help in the cargo bays. The chain chomps are acting up,"

Luigi gasped. "You mean the one that wrecked the village?!" he exclaimed. "You're keeping it?"

"Clawdia delivered her pups the other day!" Bowser replied, ignoring Luigi's bewilderment. "I tried to release her, but she wouldn't leave. So yes, I'm keeping them."

Kamek shook his head. "No, he's not. He's going to foster them until they're old enough to be rehomed."

Bowser growled and crossed his arms as he leaned down his chair. His father had firmly turned down his idea to adopt the new chomp family, citing that he had too many back in the Darklands. Yes, and? He had plenty of room for more! His mother had dozens of chain chomps, and no one tried to stop her!