a pretty surprise

Sarah surprised me the next morning with a visit. She looked miserable, to say the least. Five days running only on iced americano did not do her good.

"Dear heavens, I thought I'd been destined to pass away in the middle of revising business marketing," she cried out once she plopped on my couch, dressed only in a pair of sweatpants and a comfortable T-shirt. I didn't remember the last time I had seen her without a fancy purse.

"That would be a dreadful death," I pointed out jokingly, taking a sip of water. I was actually very glad to see her. She was the only person besides Mark's crew, who knew we were together, and I badly needed a girlfriend's point of view. The papers were taking their time to put us out publicly, which made me a bit nervous.

She reached for a piece of brownie I baked yesterday once back from the boys. "Homemade?"

I nodded and took one too. "I found it on Instagram the other day. I sent a photo to Mark when it cooled down and the poor boy got canceled in their group chat."

I heard Sarah snicker and then cough as she almost choked on the brownie. "Oh right, your little boyfriend situation. How's that going?"

There was a whole lot I wanted to tell her. About the head peck, about the shopping that awaited me later today, about the people I met, and how comfortable Mark seemed to be whenever we were together. Haechan even made a new group chat with me. Chenle called me a part of the family and ordered me to bring whatever baked would appear in my fridge.

There was so much I didn't know where to start.

"Well, we're getting along I'd say. We text quite often," I started and remembered Mark's texts from last night. My manager will pick you up at two, okay? We have rehearsals all day, but I'll see you there, pretty. I watched Sarah's expression intently. "The boys also like me, I guess. They're fun."

"The boys, huh?" she teased and quirked a brow. "Are you this shy around Mark too?"

I wanted to slap her. She knew me too well.

"Of course not," I admitted and brought my knees to my chest.

Sarah grinned and leaned against the armrest. "I knew it! If he can make this innocent facade of yours come down, I suggest you marry him ASAP." I stretched over the blankets and smacked her over the upper arm. She laughed and rolled out of my reach. "Don't try to deny it, girlie, he's growing on you."

She might have been right. Maybe Mark did become a friend to me. There were moments when I wanted to talk to him so badly, but his schedules were packed up and after meeting the team, I doubted they would let him take time off because of me. I couldn't wait to see him tonight.

Around one, a message appeared on my phone screen.

Mark Lee: We have soundcheck at five. The thing starts at seven. Sent you a VIP ticket so you can come to backstage after. See you, pretty xx

"I see that I should probably go. I've spent too much time here already."

"Are you joking? Where are you going?" I stood up and went after Sarah, who headed straight for her jacket.

"Well, you've got to go shopping, right? His manager will fetch you soon enough, I'm being extra here."

"Oh, stop, Sar. Stay a little longer."

"Nope, Jess. It's alright, I've got studying to do and we'll see each other later tonight anyway."

"Right," I sighed and brought Sarah into a hug. It annoyed me that she was being the responsible one for once. "Get home safe. And don't overdo it with school."