Summer Get Together

My phone buzzed from its perch on my nightstand. I groaned and rolled over, sleep still lurking in the air. My screen flashed with a name in the center of it. I picked up my phone and looked at it. It was a text from Noah. I smiled and opened my phone.

Noah: U coming 2 the get together 2nite?

I smiled and bit my lip. I had a cough that wasn't going away, student teaching at dance, and then barely anytime between student teaching and the meeting at Hibernia Diner. I thought about my schedule and decided I would go to the get together.

Jenna: I want to come. Hopefully this cough goes away before later on.

I sent a response and hopped out of bed. I got dressed, did my hair and make-up, and went downstairs. My dad was at the computer, printing out a work order for Rutgers and Roche.

"Morning Dad." I said, walking into the kitchen. I opened the fridge, got out the orange juice, and opened the pantry and got out Cinnamon Crunch cereal.

"Morning Jenna." my dad replied. "You still going to the Hibernia Diner with all your cast mates?"

"Yeah, it's at 7:30. Can you drop me off?" I poured the orange juice and my cereal and sat down at the table. I started eating and took out my phone. It was blinking again, except this time it was from Maria.

Maria: U coming 2nite?

My fingers flew over the keyboard as I typed a response.

Jenna: As long as I'm not coughing I will

I put my phone on the table as my dad stood up. He shut the computer down, picked up his clipboard, and picked up his laptop bag. He walked over to the front door, unlocked it, and opened it.

"Have a good day, Jenna. I'll see you later." He called as he left. I smiled and waved. I heard his car pull away a few minutes later, and jumped at the chance to text Noah. I looked at my phone and smiled. He had texted me again.

Noah: I wnt u 2 com 2

I bit my lip, causing it to bleed. I rolled my eyes and looked at my phone. He wanted me to come, it was as if he knew I was falling head over heels for him. I texted back a short, simple answer, trying not to spill my secret.

Jenna: As long as I have enough time to change before I get there and I'm not coughing

I put my phone down and finished my breakfast. I put my bowl on the counter, my glass in the sink, and my spoon in the glass. I looked at the time and smiled, only twelve hours and 20 minutes until I would see Noah. I grabbed my phone, my backpack, and tossed on my sandals. I hollered 'Goodbye' to my Mom and made my way to the bus stop.

The day dragged on. Classes seemed forever long, the bus ride seemed to last eternities, and dance seemed to last a lifetime. By the time I got home, I was beaming with excitement. I rushed up to my room, put on some cargo shorts, an off-the-shoulder shirt, and some socks on. Then, I went into the bathroom and straightened my hair. By the time I had to leave, I looked like someone who had just stepped out of a hair salon.

"Jenna, are you ready?" my dad called. I responded by running down the stairs and opening the front door. "Of course you are, why did I have to ask." My dad laughed and grabbed his keys. I slipped on my converse and ran outside. I hopped into my dad's car and buckled up. My dad pulled out of the driveway and the ride to the Diner was the longest five minutes of my life.

By the time I got to the diner, my heart was racing. I jumped out of the car, and raced to meet Noah and Max at the front doors of the Diner. I smiled and walked step in step with Noah. He smiled and led me inside. We met up with Amber, Maria, and Celeste, who were laughing and giggling.