A Magical Christmas

Wind swirled around Ryder and I as we walked towards our cozy little house. A light layer of snow dusted the ground. Only five months we had come home from completing our final studies at Coastal Carolina University.

The sun was setting along the horizon, illuminating our shadows against the face of the house. I opened the front door, letting the warmth pull me in. Ryder's arms wrapped around me as he picked me up. I giggled as he carried me through the kitchen, into the Great Room. Our Christmas tree glimmered brightly, the lights reflecting off the ornaments. Ryder set me down on the couch and looked down at me.

"I'll start making dinner," he smiled, kissing my forehead.

I smiled. "Anything I can do to help?"

Ryder laughed. "Skyla, you ask every time. I'm perfectly capable of making dinner for two on my own. Why don't you change into something more comfortable?"

I looked down at my dress. 'He has a point,' I thought as I took my heels off. Ryder walked into the kitchen as I walked into the hallway that led to the bedroom. I opened the door and left my heels next to the doorway. I walked over to the closet, slid my dress down. and pulled a pair of sweatpants and a tank top from my side of the closet. I put them on and picked up the pile of tulle and lace off the floor. Leaving the dress on the bed, I walked back out to join my boyfriend. He heard my feet against the hardwood floor as he looked over his shoulder from his stance at the stove. I smiled and walked up behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Why don't you go get changed?" I stated, kissing his shoulder. A smile curled up on his lips.

He turned around. "As you wish." I smiled as he headed towards the bedroom. I stirred the pasta sauce that was sitting on the stove. I started thinking about my family, who was still back in Europe.

I was jolted out of my thoughts when a sharp pain seared through my hand. I yelped as I realized what had happened. I had set my hand down on the brim of the pot, burning the palm of my hand.

Ryder came rushing into the kitchen, concern tattooed across his face. "What happened? Are you okay?" He came over to me, taking my hand in his. He turned the stove off and walked me into the bathroom. He then picked me up and set me down on the counter.

I put my uninjured hand on Ryder's bare shoulder. "Babe, I'm fine. It's just a small burn." Ryder looked up at me as he gently pressed a cool cloth to my hand. I winced and tried to pull my hand back. Ryder gave me a look as he pulled my hand back towards him.

He sighed dramatically as he addressed my burn. He cleaned my hand, dried it off, and went to go get an Ace bandage for my hand. He came back about five minutes later with a clean bandage. He wrapped my hand, picked me up off the counter, then set me down in front of him. He gave me a cheeky smile as he turned me around and covered my eyes with his hands.

"Ryder.." I started as he guided me out of the bathroom.

He laughed. "Shush." He guided me into the great room and sat me down in my favorite chair. "Don't open your eyes." He removed his hands and I closed my eyes, then covered them with my own hands. I heard feet shuffling around on the floor, as well as the squeaky hall closet door open and close a few times. "Okay," Ryder paused., a smirk probably plastered on his face., "open your eyes."

I moved my hands and opened my eyes. An excited squeal escaped my lips. Sitting and standing all around me were my family and friends. My mum, my dad, my brother Cedric, and all of my school friends: Rose, Vixen, Lucas, Jonathan, Liv, Kellen, and Elijah. Everyone that I held dear was here. I ran over to my parents and hugged them both.

"I missed you so much." I stated, tears of joy creeping into my eyes.

My mum laughed. "Don't cry love, you'll ruin your make-up."

Everyone laughed. I pulled away from my parents and ran over to Ryder, tackling him in a hug. He fell to the floor as I landed next to him. Everyone started laughing again. I laughed as Ryder started to blush bright red. Rose and Lucas walked over to help us get up. Rose pulled me to my feet, then pulled me into a hug. Over her shoulder, I saw Lucas and Ryder give each other a bro-hug. I smiled and pulled away from Rose.

I noticed a huge engagement ring on her finger. I gasped. "Lucas proposed to you?!" I exclaimed, looking at Rose. Her cheeks turned as pink as her hair.

She laughed. "Yes he did." A smile danced on her lips.

I pulled my black hair back into a ponytail, looking between Rose and Lucas. Ryder came over to me, wrapping his arm around my waist.

Everyone started talking amongst themselves, while Ryder and I passed out drinks. I poured a glass of Coca-Cola for myself and a glass of Root Beer for Ryder. I brought the glasses into the great room and handed him his glass. We all kept talking about various topics, like work, dance and writing, and our own daily lives.

Suddenly, Ryder clinked his glass gently. "Can I have everyone's attention please?" All eyes turned to him. "As you all know, Skyla and I have been together since we were thirteen. And we have been through hell. Now, I think it's time that things change." My heart skipped a beat as Ryder kneeled down in front of me. Gasps filled the room. "Miss Skyla Grace Carson, will you marry me?" He presented a box in front of me and opened it, revealing a black diamond engagement ring.

I felt tears form in my eyes. "Yes," I stated, "a thousand times yes!" Ryder slid the ring on my finger, then I launched myself at him, tackling him in a hug once more. He laughed and hugged me back.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too."