16|fear forces respect

Start from the beginning

"Now tell me, sweet Pearl. Tell me exactly what you wish to do to me right now."

Pearl looked at him dumbfounded. Any hope that her plan would have worked was utterly stupid, and now he wanted her to stay what she was planning to do.

"Go on. I know you want your revenge. Tell me now, what you want to do."

Pearl took a deep breath. What if he shot her if she refused to listen?

"I want to rip you apart. I want you to feel the same pain I felt in that arena, and I want you to feel the pain of the tributes you sent in there. I want you to feel the pain of my mother and my sister. I want you to get what you deserve. I want to wrap my hands around your throat until... until."

Pearl couldn't say anymore. She realized that she sounded mad. She sounded psychotic. Why would she ever say that to his face?

She was startled at Snow's amused face. He didn't seem the slightest bit frightened or concerned. He seemed like Pearl's words satisfied or excited him.

"It's a shame I had to get rid of them."

Pearl yelled before throwing herself onto Snow. The gun had dropped and she attempted to grab him by the throat.

Snow just effortlessly took her off him, holding onto her wrist tightly so she couldn't escape. She tried to scream, but his hand clasped over her mouth.

"Scream if you want, but no one will hear it. No one will be there to rescue you."

Pearl was restrained. She was silenced. Snow had a grip on her wrist, and a hand tightly clasped over her mouth. Snipers were waiting to kill her if she stepped out of line again.

She forced herself to look up at his face, which was above hers. His icy blue eyes pierced through her skin.

Snow slowly removed his hand from her mouth when she slightly calmed down. His eyes didn't leave her.

"What do you want from me?" Pearl whispered.

Snow chose to ignore her question completely. "You aren't as intimidating as you seek to be. You carelessly throw insults when you know I'm not in front of you, but now you're just a scared girl."

Pearl swallowed.

"The problem is that you don't know when to keep your pretty mouth shut."

Pearl wasn't sure what to do or say. He had her right where he wanted her, but she wasn't sure what the next step was.

"Snow?"

He seemed surprised at the soft tone of her voice. "Yes?"

"Why did you force Tigris to make all of my clothing for the Victory Tour white?"

There was that smirk again. "I had to show the Capitol what is mine."

"What is mine."

What is his.

Snow had to be going insane. Pearl wasn't his, and she never would be. What was he implying? Pearl would never be anybody's. Snow is the president of Panem, shouldn't he have more important things to be concerned about?

As he said before, Pearl is just a district girl. Snow was so prominent in her life now, and he was appearing everywhere. It was clear that he wouldn't leave her alone. But why?

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, CORIOLANUS SNOW'S BIGGEST WEAKNESS IS LOVE. He truly is a heartless and cruel dictator, and the people of Panem often conclude that he is incapable of loving.

The problem is that Coriolanus Snow loves too much. He doesn't have sympathy for the irrelevant tributes, or perhaps an average citizen. But when he finds someone that makes him hungry, Coriolanus can't get enough.

He feels the need to fuel his obsession as well.

Coriolanus has felt like this once before, and it was because of Lucy Gray Baird. He had stupidly fallen for his tribute during his time as a mentor, and became obsessed with the idea of her. She blinded him with her beautiful curls and hypnotizing singing voice.

Coriolanus loves and needs control and power. As a mentor, Lucy Gray was essentially his possession. When he reunited with her in the districts, Coriolanus felt like he had no control over her. She had a mind of her own, and she was extremely intelligent.

He thought she wouldn't leave him after learning about the people he killed. Coriolanus was wrong. Lucy Gray tried to poison him with one of her snakes, and she disappeared forever into the woods.

She will always haunt him. Coriolanus promised himself that he would never let his feelings get the best of him again. Maybe that's why he's so cold-hearted now. He wouldn't let someone district threaten his power and success.

But five years later, Coriolanus set his icy blue eyes on Pearl Bazin. Since the moment her name was reaped, Coriolanus felt warmth at just the sight of her.

Pearl had a confident posture as she walked onto that stage the day of the reaping. Her blonde hair fell down her shoulders neatly, and her green eyes stared at the screen intensely.

But then Pearl showed her defiance; something Coriolanus wasn't used to seeing. Something he only saw in Lucy Gray.

She publicly insulted him and sparked rebellion. Coriolanus was furious to see this happening during his first games as the president of Panem.

As a game maker and a mentor, his tributes were always too timid to speak out. They were too afraid to defy him. Except for Lucy Gray.

Pearl has this spark. It pulls Coriolanus in and also deflects him. Something about her is so addicting to him.

At the Victory Tour party, he simply couldn't help himself. Pearl looked so incredibly ravishing, and that aura of hers pulled him towards her. Coriolanus hungered for more.

He felt the urge to punish her for her actions, yet he also wanted her for himself. Coriolanus would rip any other meaning away from her life, except for him.

Coriolanus stared down at the girl who was in his grasp. She made him crazy. "Your family isn't dead."

Pearl's face lit up. "They aren't?"

"No, I simply took them from District 4."

Her face grew desperate, and Coriolanus felt satisfied. She needed something from him.

"Please. I'll do anything, I promise," Pearl begged.

Coriolanus smirked. "I suppose that can be arranged."