eight

The next morning, I am walking on the sidewalk with Elena. Honestly, coming to school was the last thing I wanted to do. But then again I couldn't just stay home and mope around being lazy.

I knew Damon was a psychopath.

I had a feeling he would snap and attack one of my friends eventually, but Bonnie could've actually died. I felt relief when Elena told me he was leaving town.

Well, both Salvatore's were leaving town and I was more than glad about it.

"Are you okay?" Elena worriedly asked me as we entered the halls.

I nodded. "Considering the events that transpired less than 24 hours ago, I think I'm doing amazing. What about you?" I smiled.

She clutches her bag. "Stefan's leaving. He knows where I stand and I know where he stands. It doesn't matter anymore."

Bonnie joins us as we turn the corner. Last night, Elena explained to Bonnie more aspects of vampireism.

We stopped walking when we noticed Caroline and Matt talking to each other. Both are smiling and clearly flirting.

"What the heck?" I asked in confusion.

"Did I miss something?" Elena says.

"They've been hanging out," Bonnie answers. "Caroline needs someone nice, not a psychopathic vampire like Damon."

I grimaced at the mention of his name.

"How are you doing with all that?"

"I'm freaked out. Damon attacked me. I could be dead right now, but I'm also grateful. To Stefan. He saved my life. Have you guys seen him?"

I didn't know how to answer that so I just let Elena do all the talking.

***

After school ended, I began to make my way to wait by Elena's car when I spotted him leaning on it.

I rolled my eyes, deciding to walk home instead. Keeping my head straight forward as I walked past him.

"Oh, come on. Don't be like that." Damon follows me.

"Leave me alone, Damon."

"Just let me explain."

I turned towards him swiftly. I squeezed my textbook so hard I could have ripped the paper, and then threw it in his face.

"Explain what, Damon? You attacked Bonnie! I mean, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"This isn't funny." I carry on walking. But he still follows me like a lost puppy.

"Okay, I'm sorry, no more jokes. But there is something I need to tell you." He stopped me by standing in my way.

I frowned, waiting for him to continue.

"Sheriff Forbes came by the Boarding House today. There's another vampire in town."

My eyes widened. I looked around warily before pulling him aside so we weren't in the open as much. "Another vampire? Who?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Until then, I wanted to warn you. Don't trust anyone." He looks at me, serious.

I scoffed at him. "Yeah, you taught me that well, Damon. I can take care of myself. Don't be so sexist." I humored him.

He chuckles, reaches his hand up and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. The feeling like I'm gonna vomit starts coming up as I know it's so wrong, and Damon's just teasing me about it.