Part 33

"Ms. Manoban, there's a young woman out here to see you. And she doesn't have an appointment," Minnie announced over Lisa's intercom Monday morning. It never ceased to annoy her when somebody showed up expecting to see her boss without an appointment.

Lisa knit her eyebrows together, curious as to who it might be. "It isn't Jisoo or Ella, is it?" she asked her secretary.

"Unfortunately not. I've never seen this one before."

"Let her in."

The door opened a moment later, and Lisa was face-to-face with a blast from her past. "Wendy," she gasped, totally surprised to see her. "What are you doing here?"

Wendy removed her long coat, placing it on the leather couch in the office. Her long, dark hair swept across her almost-bare shoulders in waves, a tight red sundress accentuated her curves. 'Still as devilishly handsome as ever,' she thought. "Hello, my Lisa. Aren't you pleased to see an old friend?"

"Of course." Lisa blinked in astonishment. Wendy was the last person she'd expected to find in her office. "I thought you were in London."

"I was. I'm working as a clothing designer and I'm in Korea searching for inspiration. Having spent so much time away, I'd forgotten how beautiful it is here. In fact, I ran into GD Saturday evening."

"Oh."

"I wanted to come see you. Don't worry, I'm not going into Fatal Attraction mode this time around; a year in the hospital cured me of that. I hear you are married," she stated.

Lisa nodded her head. "Yes. Happily married for a little over two years. Her name is Jennie."

She walked around to her desk, picking up a picture of Lisa and a pretty blonde she didn't recognize. 'This must be the infamous Jennie,' Wendy said to herself. 'I can see why GD is so smitten with her.' "Is this her?" she questioned, pointing to her.

"That's my Jennie."

The look of adoration on Lisa's face didn't escape her attention. She could see how in love with Jennie she was. "She is very pretty."

"That she is." she took a deep breath, searching for the right words. "Wen, I owe you an apology for what happened before. I didn't mean to hurt you the way I did. It was heartless and cruel."

"You don't owe me anything. All I want to do is put the past in the past and bury it. We can start with a clean slate, as friends. Maybe we can even have dinner together sometime before I leave."

"I can do that. Friends."

****

Two months later in late March, Jennie, Nayeon, Winter and Jisoo sat around Jennie's kitchen table playing catch-up. They'd been there for an hour and Jisoo had not said much of anything since she had arrived. Her silence was beginning to unnerve Jennie, who feared something was wrong with her adopted sister.

"Jisoo? Are you okay?" she asked. "You've been really quiet ever since you got here."

With a frown, Jisoo shook her head. "Not really, but I'll be fine. I don't mean to bring you guys down."

"What happened?" Nayeon wanted to know. She and Jisoo hadn't been the best of friends when they were growing up, but she didn't like seeing anyone upset.

"GD and I broke up yesterday. Well actually, I broke up with him."

"How come?"

Jisoo sighed heavily. "I got sick of it. All he ever wanted to do was have sex, have sex and have more sex. I'm twenty-five years old, I think I'm past that stage in my life. So I gave him an ultimatum: either give me a commitment or I'm gone. He didn't answer, so I kicked him out of the house and told him never to come back."