Part 29

Inside her bedroom, Ella fidgeted nervously. She was going on her first real date with a boy. She'd been invited to the Junior Prom by the boy she'd had a crush on since her freshman year. The school year flew by so quickly for her, Ella could hardly believe it was May already, and that she'd been graduating from high school in little more than a year.

"Unnie, do I look all splotchy?" she asked her older sister.

Jennie, who had been sitting on Ella's bed, stood up and moved to stand next to her sister. "No, you're not all splotchy. You look... great. Mark is going to flip when he sees you."

"I hope so. I've only been after him for two years. You know, I just can't believe he asked me. Is that how you felt when Lisa proposed to you? Shocked and amazed, I mean." Ella pulled at the skirt of her long black dress, adjusting it around her hips.

"It was pretty amazing; I'll grant you that." She paused for a brief moment. "I can't believe my baby sister is going to her Junior Prom. I'm suddenly feeling very old."

"Oh please, you're twenty-two. It's not like you're an old married woman. Well..."

"I know what you mean. It all seems like a lifetime ago. You going to your Prom is bringing back memories of high school for me. I'm getting nostalgic."

Ella wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. "Maybe if you and Lisa start working on a baby in seventeen years or so, you can go through this all over again with my little niece or nephew."

Jennie sighed and laughed. "Um, no. Lisa and I have no plans for having children for quite a while. So, you can forget about becoming Aunt Ella unless Jisoo is pregnant, and I don't know about it yet."

They heard the doorbell ring, announcing the arrival of Ella's date. The girl paled when she heard it, her heart pounding in her chest and her palms felt sweaty. "Jennie, he's here. Oh god."

"So, I hear. Finish getting ready and I'll wait downstairs with him and Lisa until you're ready," Jennie told her.

"Okay."

Jennie descended the stairs in time to see Lisa open the front door for Ella's date. On the other side of the door stood a blonde-haired boy clad in a black tuxedo and holding a red corsage. "You must be Mark," Lisa greeted.

Mark nodded his head nervously. "H-Hi, ma'am. Yes, I'm Mark. Is Ella ready yet?"

"Not yet" Jennie replied, making her way to the front door. "I'm her sister, and this is my wife. Why don't you have a seat on the couch while she finishes getting ready. It should only take her a few more minutes."

"Sure." she entered the house and sat down on the couch.

Lisa and Jennie took a seat on the loveseat near the window. "Mark, what's your last name?" Lisa wanted to know.

"Lee. Mark Lee."

"You're driving tonight, right?" Mark nodded. "What kind of car do you drive? Do you have insurance? How is your driving record? Do you have a criminal record I should know about?"

Jennie groaned. "Lisa, you are embarrassing him. Can you please stop being a lawyer for five minutes?"

"It's my job. Answer the questions, Mark."

He let out a nervous breath. "I drive a ninety-nine Ford Taurus; I have full coverage for my insurance, and I have a clean driving record. No speeding tickets whatsoever. And, uh, what was the last question?"

"Criminal record?"

"Lisa! Stop it!" Ella cried from the top of the stairs. "Are you trying to humiliate me?"