Chapter Four

Gail is convincing. I agree to do it, whatever it is. He says I'll thank him later. I don't plan on it. I hate him. I hate them all.

Kali wants us to come up with things out of our comfort zone to do as friends. I already agreed, so I have to. I can't let her down. That doesn't mean, however, that I have to be happy about it. I'm not.

Gail says I'm not happy about anything. He's not lying. I haven't been happy in a long time. The only time I feel close is when I'm with my friends and no one is saying shit. Which doesn't happen very often.

"Okay, Maxy. You first," Kali says, keeping her voice low, almost ominous. "Name two things for our list."

He taps his chin jokingly. "Skydiving."

"No," Kali says, laughing. "We're not going skydiving."

"Fine," he says, drawing out the syllables. "Let's go to a petting zoo. I know Lara is afraid of those goats that eat your clothes."

I frown. "I thought we were supposed to pick things we were afraid of."

"I'm bending the rules," he says. "Plus, I don't like animals. It is out of my comfort zone."

"Good," Kali says, grinning. "One more."

He sighs. "We should..."

Die.

I panic. What? I don't recognize the voice.

You should die.

Why would you say that?

Because I can. And you deserve it.

"I need to go to the bathroom," I announce to my friends. "I'll be right back."

I take deep breaths as I get into the stall, locking it. In through the nose, out through the mouth. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

What is happening to me?