6- Selene's version

Start from the beginning

"Core, we're going to be late," Severus reminded her, observing that she was staling, probably with the purpose of bothering him.

"Don't exaggerate. By the way, will you ever tell me what Core means?"

From the first time Severus said that name, Selene had suspected that it meant more than just an affectionate diminutive of her last name. But he didn't call her anything else, even in his letters he addressed her that way.

"They appreciate punctuality, and so do I," Severus ignored the question, without looking her in the eye. "Plus, the sooner we get there, the sooner we'll get out."

Selene sighed, frustrated, but hurried to finish getting ready.

They used the apparition to travel in front of the Malfoy Manor, but as they approached the door, Selene stopped short.

"It was here," her eyes widened in confusion and terror. Severus looked at her without knowing what she was talking about. "This was where I was trained as a death eater."

"Are you sure?" he looked over his shoulder at the elegant and imposing walls of the mansion.

"It was in the basement. We entered through a secret door... There, next to those trees," she pointed with a trembling finger. The images of the long, bloody months rushed through her head.

Suddenly terrified, Selene recoiled, and began hyperventilating in a sudden panic attack.

"Core, calm down, look at me," Severus took her face in his hands. She was breathing heavily, raggedly. "Look at me. Take a deep breath. It's okay, breathe," he waited for the woman to calm down, while he hurriedly thought about what they should do. "I thought you didn't know Lucius," he said, confused.

"I know him by sight, from Hogwarts," she gasped. She had gone very pale. "But we have never spoken. I didn't know... I only saw the basement."

"That stupid gave his house to the Dark Lord, but he never bothered to know what was going on there," Severus muttered. "That way he wouldn't have to hide information if the aurors questioned him. Typical of Lucius."

"What are we going to do?" Selene tried to contain her emotions, but her eyes were overflowing with tears. If she didn't run away, it was because Severus's hands were still holding her face.

"If they invited us tonight, it's because they don't know anything about what happened to you," Severus thought out loud. "Lucius is an idiot, but he wouldn't risk offending me like that. He wants to maintain a good relationship with me because I am close to Dumbledore," he explained. "I don't think he would do anything to insult you or put you in danger."

"And what about Bellatrix?" Selene was still terrified. "She is Narcissa's sister, what if she comes tonight?"

"They haven't mentioned anything like that. There will only be the four of us," he tried to reassure her, but Severus could see the panic in the woman's eyes. In an attempt to calm her, he lowered his voice to a whisper. "And if not, we will leave."

Selene stared at him, trying to control the rhythm of her breathing.

"Are you serious?" her voice was a faint whisper. Severus lowered his head, resting his forehead against hers.

"I promise I won't let anything happen to you," he caressed the woman's face with his hands. "Trust me, Core."

She took a deep breath, to simulate a strength she didn't feel, and nodded her head slightly. Severus let go of her, but took her hand, and walked with her the last few meters that separated them from the door of the mansion.

A house-elf opened the door, and showed them into the hall, where the Malfoys were waiting for them.

Narcissa was the first to welcome them, with sincere and uninhibited joy, followed by her husband, who was also courteous but much more formal. After the appropriate greetings and the covert observation of Selene by the hosts, they went to the living room for dinner.