CHAPTER 3

Thea Willams' POV:

I was finally in my room. It had pale pink walls and nothing except for a single bed, an in-built cupboard, and a coffee table. This is perfect and it's only a stay of two days.

I take a deep breath as the simple act of being in this room of a hotel instead of the one I was given at the mansion made me feel like this was my first step to freedom. Even though I was feeling free this was also one of those times when I deeply craved friendship. Someone to share my problems with, someone who'd listen to me, laugh, and cry with me. I don't even remember what a hug feels like. Growing up I never had those and in college, I didn't think I'd make them until Sia James popped up in my life. I miss her. She was the other best thing that had happened in my life besides Sage.

Sia was like a warm cup of hot coffee. Bitter yet sweet, and so damn warm. She made me happy and I had believed happiness was never meant to be mine. She was my classmate and a social butterfly. Even though she had many friends I was proud of the fact that I was the only one she held onto when she needed someone.

There were days she needed my shoulder to cry on, my arms to find comfort, and my voice to feel happy. All my life I had been tied. In the beginning with my family, then with love, and then with marriage.

I was about to change into something comfortable when someone knocked on my door. Why would anyone knock? Nobody knows me here. I didn't call for room service either.

I began sweating and I gulped the lump that formed in a matter of seconds. "Who is it?" I asked. Why the fuck there's no peephole damn it. A problem with cheap as fuck hotels. I press my ear to the door.

After a few seconds, the reply comes, "Room service, Ma'am!"

"But I didn't order anything."

"This is on the house, Ma'am."

Okay, that makes sense. I released a sigh of relief and was about the door when I heard someone whisper, "She's opening it." Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't wanna risk it.

No.

No fucking way.

It's too soon.

How did they find out I was here? My ride was rented under a fake name and I had outside help to rent it. This place is miles away from the mansion in LA. My breathing turns erratic and before I go into a panic attack I better run. Fucking again.

I stuff some cash in the bustier of my dress and take my heels in my hands. Next, I spot a window beside the cupboard. My room is on the first floor so I think I can jump. Fuck! Who am I kidding? I might end up spraining my ankle. I glance over my shoulder the final time, close my eyes, and pinch my forearm hoping this is all a nightmare. Damn it.

"Ma'am?" the cunt calls out.

"Be there in a minute," I say in a chirpy voice. Bastards.

I take God's name, a big breath in, and jump. I land with a wosh and roll onto my back. Pain shoots throughout my legs and I have to place my palm over my mouth to stop myself from moaning in pain. Okay, that wasn't so hard. But things definitely won't be child's play moving forward since the sun has set, hence it's too dark to find my way to a safe spot. But technically this also allows for better hiding spots. Fan-fucking-tastic.

I stagger to my feet with my heels still in my hands and run for it. I'm so fucking frustrated and done. Like, let me fucking live a little. I also have to get back to my secret.

I have to get somewhere safe before they catch me. I climb the back wall of the hotel, which is around 6 ft. tall. My 5"4' ass needs to do this. I place my right foot on the wall and try to look for a spot that can assist me in hauling my weight. I grip the top with my palms and I can already feel my skin tearing. I throw my shoes on the other side and the dark isn't fucking helping.

Again I take a big breath in and place my other foot, I feel like I can do this. If I could survive a jump from 1st floor then I can definitely do this. I repeat it until I'm at the top and again jump. My legs are affected so badly by another high jump that my legs are shaking with pain. God I wish I had time to change into some sports shoes. Fucking bastards. I have no time to waste on them or on thinking what could have been done. I need to survive right now.

I pick up my heels and start walking in the other direction with shaky legs. My dress is also torn on the right side, all the way from my knees to my thigh. Thank God, it's May, I do not have to worry about freezing to death.

I had made it only 10 steps away from the hotel and loud sirens began. Oh my God. Did they bring police? Why am I even surprised? Every LAPD officer is stuffed in my 'family's' pockets.

I start to run, only for my ankle to fucking twist. Lord, when will this ever end? I wince but continue running with a limp foot. I look everywhere for a safe place like a madwoman, for anything, for my light at the end of the tunnel. I'm all sweaty, my hair disheveled, my lungs fatigued. The earsplitting sound of sirens only elevates my anxiety. I have been running for more than 30 minutes now and I feel close to collapsing any minute.

And just when I had lost hope, I spot an abandoned building. My eyes release happy tears.      "Oh, thank God, finally." I rush to the building and look for a safe and sound hiding spot. The building has three floors and looks like it is half-finished and burned. Creepy.

The large bushes all around it probably are home to countless insects and maybe snakes as well. I'm so fucking frightened but I have only two options. Get caught or hide at this ridiculous place.

I go to the back of the building that's also the farthest from the road. I look around and find an entrance. I begin to take steps towards my next stop but I'm left immobile when I hear the click of a gun behind me. The long overdue breath I am trying to catch stops altogether as the barrel presses against my waist. A threat is standing behind me and now he'll take me back to the life I tried so hard to escape. No. I cannot allow that to happen.

"Gangster's wife," A man says through clenched teeth. His voice is weirdly familiar.

"How can I help you?" I cannot recognize that it is my voice because of how terribly sacred I sound.

'By being mine?"

What the fuck? Is this man mad or what?

"Oh don't tell me you forgot about me so soon, sweetheart. But wait, 5 years is a long ass time." 

Thank you, sweethearts, for reading this far! Please comment and share as it helps me write faster and better! The next chapter will be up next Wednesday depending on the comments and feedback, I receive!

© [2024] Slayyslvt. All Rights Reserved.