Chapter 2 | Haunting past

Start from the beginning

He did not know why but he felt something shift in him after seeing the results. He felt love, not as he felt for his mother, not as he felt for Pepper. It felt foreign to him. He felt loving and protective but about all, he felt scared. Scared that he would not be able to protect her. Would not be able to keep her safe. Being a hero he put a lot of people he loved in danger.

Head of Security of Stark Industries and one of Tony's best friends, Happy Hogan nearly died in a bomb blast. Pepper, the love of his life was kidnapped and nearly died falling into flames from a great height. He could not protect them, then how was he supposed to protect his fifteen-year-old baby girl whom he had never even known about till a day ago? He knew he would not be able to keep her safe, Away from harm, he was too immature to.

"Tony?" called a soft voice he looked up and saw Steve.

"I don't know, Cap." Tony said shaking her his as he shrugged his shoulders "I don't know if I can keep her safe." 

"You don't have to keep her safe. You just have to trust her to be herself safe." Steve said placing a hand on Tony's shoulder.

"And if I'm the reason something happens to her? What then, Cap?" Tony asked and Steve remained silent, he too had the same fear. It was why he did not let Rey go on missions whenever Fury called her for one.

"I know." Steve sighed "It's how I feel. If I never crashed the plane into the ocean I would have been there for Rey and she would have never been captured by HYDRA." he said guilt flooding him.

"Cap, if you'd've never crashed the plane into the ocean she woulda never even existed." Tony said. Steve nodded knowing Tony was right but maybe if he had not done it HYDRA would have never tortured his little girl. "I wish I knew about her before-"

Tony was interrupted by Steve's phone ringing. "Sorry." Steve said before taking his phone out of his pocket and saw it was Rey. Her name was labelled with a heart Emoji (Rey ❤) on top of her profile picture. Steve picked it up before he could say anything Rey started speaking.

"Dheaidí, is it okay if we're back late?" she asked.

"Why?" he asked.

"Nothing, we're just gonna go around." Rey said. "there's this place in Queens —  makes the best sandwiches we're gonna grab some for dinner, for everyone."

"Who has sandwiches for dinner?" Steve asked.

"I do. Deal with it Captain Democracy." Rey said. Steve chuckled.

"Okay. But no later the six."

"Roger that, Rogers." Rey said Steve chuckled shaking his head. "Okay bu-bye." she hung up leaving a smile on her father's face.

"Was it her?" Tony asked Steve causing him to nod. 

"Yeah. The two of them are bringing dinner for everyone." Steve said.

"What's wrong with sandwiches for dinner?" Tony asked. Steve rolled his eyes.

"You know, you and Rey are more similar than me and her." he said.

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Tony said with a proud smirk.

◈◉◈

Everyone sat in the screening room watching a movie munching on popcorn and sipping on coke when the movie was paused and J.A.R.V.I.S.'s voice spoke through the speakers. "Ms. Rey and Mr. Jay have returned. Ms. Rey has asked me to call everyone to the dining hall for dinner."

"Did she make it?" Clint asked.

"No. She had brought sandwiches and appeared to be adding more cheese in them." the UI said.