14th Chapter

Sammy's P.O.V.

"No, you're done for the night missy." Caleb told Amanda. She was beyond tipsy, she was drunk. But I understood why she was so committed into getting wasted, and honestly I would do the same if I was her.

She has always been my role model, I look up to her. She's the strongest human being that I know and yet she doesn't realize it. She tries to hide her true self behind this fake image of 'the school's bitch' but I know she only does it to protect her feelings from people like Justin or her parents.

I don't really know what happens in her house when no one's around, but I'm almost 100 percent sure that her parents aren't the kindest people on Earth. Not that she would ever confess it.

My phone buzzed once again. The same unknown number kept calling me, but I knew exactly who it was. So after the third call or something I finally gathered the courage to answer the call.

"Hello?" I said in a shaky voice.

"Samantha, this is Dr. Carter. I need you to come to the hospital immediately. We've just received your results." I gulped at the news. Doctors never ask you to return to the hospital unless it's something bad.

"Okay. I'll be there in a few minutes." I told my doctor before hanging up. I turned around to look at a very drunk Amanda.

"Hey listen. I have to go home okay? Something happened and I really have to go. Will you meet me at my house after?" I asked her, not really paying any attention to what she said next.

I made my way through the crowd of people, trying to get out of the bar. I didn't even say goodbye to Caleb, because I knew that if I did he would realize that something was wrong and wouldn't let me go without an explanation. Honestly, I'm not even sure how he let me go that easily. I suppose he couldn't leave the bar, and I'm glad he couldn't.

I and Caleb were getting along great. We have been hanging out with each other almost every day since the first night I came here with Amanda. He's the sweetest guy I have ever met and I think I'm falling in love with him, but I can't tell him. At least not yet, it's too soon.

I don't want to scare the only decent man I have in my life right now. My dad doesn't qualify as decent. He barely talks to me and when he does it's always about stupid things. I know that it hurts him just to look at me, I remind him too much of my mom.

When I finally got home, I got in my car and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. To say that I was scared was an understatement. I was terrified.

Long story short: The other day I was watching TV when I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I waited for about ten minutes, but it just wouldn't go away and by then the pain was almost unbearable. So I called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital where they gave me painkillers, took some blood to be analyzed and made a few other tests on me.

My dad came to the hospital, but soon after he arrived the doctor told me that I could go home and that they would call me when the results came out. And now here I am driving to the hospital to find out if I have something wrong with me or not.

I few minutes after I arrived and quickly went inside. It was pretty late so there was only a few people here and there apart from the doctors and nurses that worked there.

"Miss McCaine?" A woman's voice called me and I immediately turned around to see a short woman with a green uniform staring at me with a worried look.

"Yes?" I said.

"Please follow me. Doctor Carter wants to see you as soon as possible." She said before starting to walk towards an office. I quickly followed her in silence.

I sat on a chair in front of my doctor's desk. He was reading something with a very concerned expression which made me think the worst.

"Samantha... I'm really sorry. You have cancer." He said. And just like that my whole world fell apart.

"What?! I can't have cancer! There must be a mistake!" I shouted, tears threatening to fall at any moment.

"I'm so sorry, but the CT scan doesn't make mistakes." I had cancer.

"Can it be treated?" I asked.

"I'm afraid you are in a too advanced state for me to be able to give you any type of guarantees. For now, you'll be administered here in the hospital and we'll contact your father and see what we can do." Dr. Carter told me.

I just nodded. Right now I couldn't feel anything but sadness and hopelessness. The doctor left and I was escorted by two nurses to a room. I guess this will be my new room for now.

I had to let Amanda know that tonight she couldn't stay at my place, but she was too drunk to be able to go home by herself. I started to look through my contacts and stopped when I saw 'Charlie Adams'.

"Hello?" I said when he picked up after the third ring.

"Hello? Who is this?" His voice came out hoarse, he must've been sleeping. No shocker, it was about 2 a.m. or something.

"Yeah, hi. This is Samantha McCaine, Amanda's friend."

"Is everything alright?" He asked now more awake.

"Kind of. I was calling because I had an emergency and Amanda was supposed to meet me at my house after she was done and now I can't go home and I'm scared that she'll be all alone even though Caleb's there and-" I started to talk faster and faster as panic started to feel every cell in my body and tears began to fall.

"Hey, hey! Samantha, calm down! Where are you?" He asked sweetly.

"I'm at the hospital. Can you please go get Amanda and make sure she falls asleep safely?" I almost begged him. The last thing I wanted was to hurt that girl even more than she has already been.

"Don't worry about it, where is she?"

"At the P-Bar. Where Caleb works?"

"I'm on my way. And Samantha? Everything will be okay." I smiled at his words and nodded even though he couldn't see me. It felt good listening to those words.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in that horrible hospital room with a pain on my arm. I screamed in pain and a nurse immediately rushed inside my room, followed by my dad.

His eyes were really red and swollen as if he was crying. "Honey, what's wrong?" He asked in panic.

I just shook my head. I didn't know what was wrong with me. The nurse changed the liquid that was going to my veins through a tube and the pain gradually became bearable.

My dad hugged me and started to cry. I did too, I had never seen him cry. Not even when my mom died. I always thought that he didn't care about me, maybe I was wrong.

"I love you so much, sweetie. Everything will be okay, I'll make sure of it. Don't be afraid, daddy's here." I smiled at him. He did care. He did love me.

Then my phone buzzed, ruining father and daughter's moment.

Sammy,what's wrong? Let me help you, please. I'm here for you.

My heart melted at Caleb's text. But that feeling of joy didn't last. I couldn't be with him, I couldn't drag him into this mess, my mess. He will be better off without me.