23. 𝐑𝐚𝐠𝐞

➳❦

➳❦

ARYA SAT ON HER BED, her legs swinging back and forth as she kept glancing toward the door. She was waiting for Finnick to show up but with every passing moment, she felt her heart dropping more. Had she done something? Was he uncomfortable with something she had said? That was the only reason Arya could think of for him not to be here.

She hated thinking she did something to him. Or maybe someone had said something bad about her. Maybe they turned him against her. Arya believed that Thirteen was only putting on an act. She didn't believe she was rescued by them. Especially because of what happened earlier with the guards. She hated not feeling safe, not being able to get proper sleep. But she was able to close her eyes at least with Finnick around.

And now he was gone. And she didn't know why. Arya felt it may be a way to isolate her even more. To have her become so unprotected that Coin could do something to her. She barely had any defense up right now because most of her time was spent trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't. Finnick helped in that department. Maybe that's why he wasn't there. She knew he helped her, so she took him away.

But Finnick wasn't taken away. Instead he was in his own room, pacing back and forth as he tried to figure out what to do. One one end, he did feel like Matthew was somewhat right about what he said. Arya couldn't fully depend on him otherwise she wouldn't get better. But for the comment of wanting to sleep with her, Finnick could punch Matthew in the face for that.

He hated having to decide between leaving her alone for one night and giving in to just hold her. Finnick being in her presence also helped him in a sense. He felt more safe here than he had since he got there. Thirteen wasn't exactly friendly and welcoming. The only people he had was Katniss and Haymitch.

And now Arya. Well, maybe he wouldn't have her if he ended up leaving her alone. Finnick could almost sense her panic and it killed him to not just go running to her. But what if Matthew was right? If she became so dependant on him, maybe that would just become a much bigger problem. Either way, he wasn't going to her room tonight.

That left Arya alone as she laid on her bed. She tried to pull the covers over her, trying to give her a sense of comfort. But anytime she closed her eyes, they were forced open by the horrific images that would appear. Tears pooled in her eyes as she gripped the sheets tightly. Her gaze would snap to the door which she had locked to make sure no one could come in.

But she didn't know if Coin had a master key. If she gave into the false sense of security, would she be awoken by something. By someone. By one of the guards wanting to have their way with her. Arya wipes her tears as she turns toward the wall, just staring at the white wallpaper.

She felt the faint ghost touch of Finnick and she could imagine his arms around her. But nothing compared to the real thing. Nothing compared to the safety he provided. So, she couldn't sleep that night. Her mind running at twice the speed as flashes of memories went through her mind. Arya could almost scream with how overwhelming it felt.