Chapter 1: Memories

Desrosier Boarding School was a premiere institution only for the wealthiest or most famous children in the richest country in the world. As such, they were provided the best. The best teachers were at their disposal as well as the best dorms, food, classrooms, textbooks, and even personal attendants. Though many had caretakers to ensure their day-to-day life went smoothly in place of their parents, the school offered academic caretakers as well. These caretakers were with the student every second of every school day and were even available for tutoring after school hours. And for those students that remained in the dorms, they were watched 24/7.

The school was split into three sections: one for elementary, one for middle, and one for high school divisions. And for a very hefty fee, a kindergarten education was also available. Regardless, in the elementary school division, children of influential families started their first years of schooling, and the school put extra effort into getting them to start off on the right foot. That was why all new students had to take an entrance exam to see where they would be best put to a challenge.

One such child came into Desrosier with massive murmurs all around. Everyone wanted a peek at the new kid. He had rosy cheeks and gorgeous, shining eyes, and to top it all off, the rumors about him getting into Desrosier's special class got everyone's attention. So, on his very first day of school, the boy had no problem whatsoever fitting in. He was charismatic, just like his father. In fact, he was so much so that every single kid at the school did just about anything to get to be his friend.

"I heard that his father gives anyone that plays with him after school a thousand dollars."

"Ambre told me he was the most outstanding at the entrance exam in more than a century."

"Everyone's talking about him trying out for student council."

Rumors spread like wildfire. He was the most popular kid in the elementary division, and because of that, he enjoyed a great time at school. Of course, his father kept saying he was "too shy for his own good", but when he got along so great with everyone, he thought his father was a little silly. Still, for an entire year and a half, he enjoyed his status as everyone's favorite, including his teachers. And then, in second grade, someone special transferred in the middle of the year.

Again, the whispering started, kids all around talking about how the new student was even more popular than he was. That made him really upset. It was like all the attention that he had been being showered with was suddenly yanked away. Even during lunchtime, when he was sitting with his friends, the only thing they talked about was that kid. He wasn't even in the cafeteria and still, they wouldn't shut up about him. The boy frowned, crossing his arms over his chest.

"He was really cute!" one of the girls next to him chuckled.

"You saw him?!"

"Just for a second! His caretaker hid him so quickly! But he was so pretty. He even looked at me."

"Wow! You're so lucky!"

The boy only continued to pout as his attention was stolen away. Even as he did his best tricks to get their attention, or brought up something about what they were doing in his special class, nothing. Irritated, he left, refusing to put up with the rumors any longer if he wasn't going to be part of them. It didn't occur to him before he was behind the school dorms that he forgot his lunch. Yelling at the top of his lungs to release all his pent-up frustration, he stomped again and again. He wished that transfer student never existed.

"Stupid school! Stupid friends! Stupid kid!"

And as he began to catch his breath, panting heavily, he turned his head to find a completely frozen boy staring at him. The boy appeared to be munching on something, but immediately swallowed and began to shiver. His pupils shook and tears sprang to the corner of his eyes before he dropped his lunch and bolted away like a scared bunny rabbit. And, as if he were a predator, his observer chased after him as well.