Chapter 23: The Great Tate

Start from the beginning

"No. I came here because I wanted to."

"Well?"

"I wanted to talk about our break up." Tate cleared his throat and looked away.

"Why?" Nessa shrugged. "It was two years ago."

"I have to tell you this so you can understand why I did what I did. I wanted to protect you."

"Protect me? From what?"

"I don't know how to tell you this. I've kept it a secret for so long," Tate whispered.

Nessa watched as Tate fiddled with his watch. She leaned forward. "Tell me what happened. What was so awful that you tossed me aside like yesterday's garbage?"

"It wasn't an easy decision to make."

"If you have a great excuse, just tell me. I want to know what was so damned important that you hurt me the way you did. We had plans,, remembered? We were supposed to get married. We were going to have kids and raise them to be vegetarians who still ate fish and learned different languages. They were going to be artists or hippies or whatever they wanted to be. You ruined it, Tate!"

The other patrons of the coffee shop began to stare. Tate ducked his head. "You're making a scene."

"I don't care!" Nessa stared at the other customers with wild eyes. "He owes me an explanation."

"Fine, I'll tell you. Just lower you voice."

"What was that? You want me to what?" She asked, raising her voice.  "Just tell me!"

"Fine! You want to know why I broke up with you? I was dying! I left you because I was dying!" Tate snapped.

A collective gasp filled the room followed by the sound of a dish cracking as it hit the floor. Tate rubbed his hands across his face and in almost a whisper, explained, "I was sick and they didn't think I was going to make it."

"What were you sick of?" Nessa asked, unsure of how the words escaped her mouth.

"Cancer. I was in Houston getting treated. That's why I broke up with you."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

An ugly sneer crossed Tate's face. "And have you pity me? Or worse, regret being my girlfriend?"

"How could you say that?" Nessa felt like someone had knocked the wind out of her. "And now? How are you now?"

"I'm in remission but the chemo and radiation took a toll on me. I didn't want your life to be paused because of me. I decided to break up with you because I wasn't sure I was going to make it. How could I ask you to take that risk for me?"

"And now? You've been dating Petunia or whatever her name is."

"We broke up."

Nessa's eyes widened. "You did? Why?"

"Because I'm still not over you. I've never been over you."

"Then why did you date her to begin with?"

"Because she doesn't want kids."

Nessa frowned. "I don't understand."

"I...I can't have children," Tate admitted. "If I want children, I'll have to adopt."

Nessa couldn't hold his stare any longer. She clutched her stomach.

"What do you think about adoption, Nessa?"

"I don't think anything about it," she admitted. "I'm sorry you went through so much these past two years, Tate. Don't think I didn't suffer either. After you dumped me, I went through a really dark phase. I almost lost my mind. I wouldn't even be here if I hadn't—"

Tate grabbed her hands with both of his. "Nessa? Are you hearing what I'm saying? I want us to get back together. I love you."

"So?" Nessa pulled her hands out of his grasp.

Tate's mouth shut as he waited for her to continue.

"Tate, you broke up with me because you didn't expect me to wait for you. In theory, that means if I were the sick one, you'd expect me to want you to leave me. You'd think it'd be okay to do that and I can't agree with that. When two people are in love, they stick with each other no matter what. That's a selfish love. You cast me aside like I wasn't worthy to be someone you could depend on."

"That's not what I—"

"No, you don't get to come waltzing in here like nothing happened."

"Nessa," Tate leaned forward and pleaded. "You and I belong together."

"No, we don't. I told you I'm dating Knox."

He gave a mocking laugh. "Like that will last."

"Why not? You think you're the only one able to care about me? Or are you lying about wanting me back?"

"It's not that. It's just that he—"

"He's someone who can love a woman no matter what she does."

Tate's eyes narrowed. "Are you serious about dating him? I've heard rumors about him. He's—"

"I don't care about rumors," Nessa said, pushing her chair back and standing up. "From now on, just stay away from me, Tate. Tell your father to stop trying to push us together."

"Nessa—"

"Goodbye, Tate."

It took some effort, but Nessa refused to glance back at him as she exited the coffee shop. She didn't want him to see the tears in her eyes.

 She didn't want him to see the tears in her eyes