Chapter I

I was sure he was gone. Back to the Peacekeepers. I forced Coriolanus out of my mind. He meant nothing to me anymore. Despite that, I still felt a bit heartbroken. He had protected me well in the arena, just to turn against me when we could finally be ourselves, without all of the politics. At this point, I was exhausted. Maybe I could stayfor another day or two at the house by the lake. I would just have to leave early before the Covey caught up to me. I definitely couldn't return to District 12 now, with Coriolanus and the Mayor there wanting me dead. I didn't want to force the Covey into this lifestyle with me. Before the Hunger Games, none of us really knew how to fend for ourselves. We were all social and enjoyed being around people. I doubt any of them would truly want to spend the rest of their lives stuck in the forest, alone. I just hoped they could get on well without me.

     I stood up, cakes in mud and leaves. I felt disgusting, but that wasn't my priority right now. I needed to sneak back to the cabin and make sure that Coriolanus wasn't still there, waiting for me. I hurried back toward the lake, moving as quickly as I dared. There, just through the trees, I could see the lake, and it appeared deserted. But I didn't trust it. Ever since my time in the arena, I had been overly cautious about everything, apprehensive over even the slightest things. Coriolanus has a gun. I just have a knife. I pull out that knife at this moment, just in case he has set up an ambush. I circle the clearing a few times before I decide that he's likely not outside. But I still want to be sure. I stoop down and pick up a rock, tossing it out into the open. Nothing moves. I step into the clearing and dare to yell, "Hello?" There is no response except for a few mockingjays mimicking my tone. Carefully, I walk toward the cabin and shove open the door quickly, my knife held at the ready. It's empty. Every sign that we had been there was destroyed. The guns were gone, presumably thrown into the lake. The fire still had a bit of warm coal, so I stirred them around and got the fire going again shortly. There was still plenty of time left in the day, so I waded into the lake and scrubbed the mud off of my clothes and body, picking some katniss with my fingers as I did so. Right now, being alone in the wilderness wasn't so bad. 

As the sky started to turn pink, I finally climbed out of the lake. I would certainly miss it, but it didn't feel safe anymore. I cooked some katniss over the fire as I ran my fingers through my hair and hung my clothes up to dry. I picked some wildflowers too, plucking off the leaves and some of the stems twisting the flowers into my hair. Like I wore at the reaping. The thought caused me to yank the flowers out of my hair and toss them away angrily. By then at least, my clothes had dried and the katniss was cooked. Not a big or elaborate one by any means, but filling. I would need my energy in these coming days. I smoothed an old tablecloth out on the floor, making a heap of katniss and a few remaining wildflower leaves in the middle and wrapping them up. The leaves would wilt quickly, but I might not be able to find any more food for a while. With that thought in mind, I drink as much water as I can and fill up the pitcher too. I might not see so much fresh water for a while either. Then I curl up by the fire and drift off to sleep. 

     The next morning, I rose with the sun. I had planned on leaving as soon as I woke up, but I found I wasn't quite ready to leave the little house yet. I spent a few hours collecting food. Berries, nuts, greens, and katniss. I ate the wildflower leaves, which were already a bit droopy. The heat wasn't helping either. Multiple times I splashed in the lake for a few minutes to cool down. Hopefully, as I was walking, the trees would provide more shade. I started singing, going through all the songs we sang at performances as I worked. The mockingjays sang along. Then I started singing the next song that came to mind. The chorus to As Pure as the Driven Snow. I immediately stopped, and the mockingjays chirped, confused. How wrong I was. To love Coriolanus Snow, to ever trust him at all. He was no longer pure as snow. He never really was, just a selfish man who wanted nothing more than the prize for mentoring the winning tribute. Who tricked me into trusting him so that he could betray me when it benefitted him. Without thinking, I started singing The Hanging Tree again. How many people Coriolanus had hurt and killed and lied to? And for that matter, me. Was I really any better than him? The mockingjays continued the song along with me. Yes. I am better than him. I only did what I did because I had to, but I would never betray someone who trusted me. I wouldn't ever betray anyone without a good reason. I don't want to hurt people, it's just the situation that life puts me in that forces me to. Like the Hunger Games. I think, unearthing another handful of katniss. That's when I heard the mockingjays stop abruptly.